Run likwid-bench without likwid

David Meichel

Nov 10, 2022, 3:32:45 AM11/10/22
to likwid-users
Hello,

I want to run the likwid-bench benchmarks without likwid because I am planning to evaluate a performance analysis tool on a cluster which gets deactivated whenever likwid is used.
I had the idea to first run likwid-bench as usual and save the assembly that is generated from the benchmark .ptt file to a file. In a second step I would then be able to just run this assembly file.
However, running e.g. "likwid-bench -o ~/assembly.asm -t store -w S0:1GB" did not produce the file assembly.asm.

Any help will be appreciated a lot.

Best regards
David

Thomas Gruber

Nov 10, 2022, 5:48:59 AM11/10/22
to likwid-users
Hi,

There seem to be two ways to go:
1. Build likwid-bench without instrumentation and use likwid-bench directly. I assume the MarkerAPI causes the deactivation.
2. The assembly generation is done in different steps. The already included kernels are generated and compiled into likwid-bench. For those, the Assembly files are located in the build directory ($LIKWID_SRC/bench/$COMPILER). For all kernels that are supplied at runtime (ptt in $HOME/.likwid/bench/<arch> or directly specified), the Assembly can be saved to a file with the -o switch.

Have fun with the kernels.

Best,
Thomas

David Meichel

Nov 11, 2022, 9:09:58 AM11/11/22
to likwid...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your answer, Thomas.
Can you give me some hints on how I can build likwid-bench without instrumentation and use it directly? Do I just need to make some changes to likwid-bench.c?

--

---

Thomas Gruber

Nov 12, 2022, 9:22:00 AM11/12/22
to likwid-users
To build likwid-bench without instrumentation, you have to set INSTRUMENT_BENCH = false in the config.mk file and recompile (make distclean && make). You should not require any code changes.

In order to get all assembly files through the command line interface likwid-bench -o ~/assembly.asm ... you just move all kernels in bench/<arch>/ out of the build tree. Then no kernel is integrated at build time and you can load them dynamically to get the assembly.