Likwid 5.2.2 support for Alder Lake processors

Daniel Ruiz Molina

Apr 2, 2024, 3:32:07 PMApr 2
to likwid-users
Hello,

I'm trying to run Likwid 5.2.2 in a system with processor Intel 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 also called "Alder Lake" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alder_Lake). However, when I run "likwid-perfctr -f -C 0-5 -g FLOPS_SP ./my_executable", I have got these errors: "CPU name:       12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400
CPU type:       Unknown Intel Processor
CPU clock:      2.50 GHz
ERROR - [./src/perfmon.c:perfmon_init_maps:1162] Unsupported Processor
ERROR - [./src/perfmon.c:perfmon_init_funcs:1733] Unsupported Processor
"

Is there any solution to allow Likwid execution in a 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400?

Thanks.

Thomas Gruber

Apr 2, 2024, 8:20:18 PMApr 2
to likwid-users
Hi,

There may be hacks to trick the system detection and therefore enable hardware counting support but I would not recommend it. The AlderLake chip consists of P- and E-cores and LIKWID has no detection mechanism for those. Even if you make it work, you have to carefully select the architecture per core type. Most of the events will not useable, some counter accesses might crash your system.

The request for Intel AlderLake is not new (see here and here) but we don't have such a system for testing and desktop/mobile chips are not our development targets.

Best,
Thomas