Artnet and other DMX controller interference

Jatin V

May 17, 2020, 1:28:50 AM5/17/20
to Lightjams
Hi.
          We have couple Enttec ethernet dmx controllers on a network and we have installed Enttec Storm 8 on the same network which we would like to use Lightjams for. When PC is connected to our network, Lightjams is able to detect all of the connected devices right away. Under patch all of the fixtures for the project are only configured for Artnet on Storm device. However, as soon as you open Lightjams, lights connected to other enttec devices start flickering. How do I ensure that Lightjams does not talk to other devices and only the device I want? I removed the other device listed under Arnet configuration and lights stopped flickering but after few seconds or restarting the software it came back and lights started flickering again. This happens right after opening lightjams without even opening a configured program for Storm 8.
          Please help.
Thanks,
Regards.

Mathieu

May 17, 2020, 7:01:20 AM5/17/20
to Lightjams
Hi,

Configure the Enttec storm to receive a different universe than your other artnet nodes. Also change the universe in the patch.

Right now, it looks like Lightjams and another console are sending artnet to the same nodes, causing flickering.

Jatin V

May 17, 2020, 2:38:01 PM5/17/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
I don't understand how to achieve this. As soon as you start lightjams, it detects all the dmx devices on the network and assigns universes and starts talking to them where they are already talked and controlled by other program/console.

Mathieu

May 17, 2020, 3:43:31 PM5/17/20
to Lightjams
Hi,

You assign the dmx universes, not Lightjams. By default the Enttec storm (as most artnet nodes) are configured to receive universe 0. My guess is that you have multiple artnet nodes all configured to receive universe 0. If it's not the case, please take a screenshot of the artnet config panel (with all the detected artnet nodes) in Lightjams to give me more info.

You need to use the Enttec utility to change this universe on the Enttec storm and be sure no other artnet nodes are using this universe. So let say you configure the Enttec storm to receive universe 1 and up. Then in Lightjams, go in the view/patch menu, select your fixtures and click on the change universe button. Then select the universe matching how you've configured the Enttec storm.

Jatin V

May 17, 2020, 3:47:03 PM5/17/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the quick reply. I am not on site but later today I will check the settings on universes assigned on storm and also what universe is being detected on other device. If things don't look right then will send you a screenshot.

Jatin V

May 18, 2020, 12:41:25 AM5/18/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com

I was able to fix the flickering issue by changing Enttec storm universe to begin from 1. But now, I am not able to see any dmx activity on universe 1. All fixtures are on universe 1 and lightjams artnet does show data being sent to universe 1 but Artnetometer does not see anything on universe 1 and also no activity on the actual fixtures either. Not sure if it has anything to do with my network or only 1 universe is available during demo mode. I have attached screenshots here.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

1.png
2.png

Mathieu

May 18, 2020, 5:59:22 AM5/18/20
to Lightjams
Hi,

The universe looks to have been changed to 1 as expected. Now Lightjams unicast artnet to the storm only and that's why artnetominator does not see it.

If the storm isn't receiving anything, it's probably a network configuration problem.

You can force broadcast by clicking edit next to the detected storm universe 1, select the universe 1 and click remove.

If you don't understand what a universe is or unicast or broadcast, please tell.

Jatin V

May 20, 2020, 8:36:03 PM5/20/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for replaying little late. It turned out that I had a bad cable from enttec storm out to the dmx splitter. I had it storm connected directly to the pc so will try it out on a network again but it should work. Thank you for all your prompt helps.