Still struggling with FadeOut

Zorpiedoman

May 8, 2020, 11:13:03 PM5/8/20
to Lightjams
If I put this fomula in for the power on the source:

if(midi.note(1,1),fadein(10,100),fadeout(10,0))

Every time I press C-2 on my keyboard it starts to fade in nicely.  Looks like the timeframe is 10 seconds as expected.  Beautiful, right?

BUT, when i release the key the power immediately goes to zero with no fadeout.

FURTHERMOE, If I release the key after one second then press the key again, the fade in picks up where it left off.  Once It has reached 100% never again is there a fade.  pressing the key on the keyboard just becomes an on/off switch.

God, I'm going crazy with this...

Thanks for your help..

-John

Mathieu

May 9, 2020, 6:06:10 AM5/9/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Select the slider you want to control, click on the midi icon and then select the fade in and out time. Now click on the nuclear icon to see the generated formula.

For the formula should look like:

fadeout(10, fadein(10, midi.note(1,1)))

It's a flow of data instead of imperative instructions. The midi note is a data being faded.

Zorpiedoman

May 9, 2020, 7:56:07 AM5/9/20
to Lightjams
Holy crap, I think I just stumbled the answer to my quest:

fadeout(midi.controlraw(2,48)/10,fadein(midi.controlraw(2,48)/10,midi.note(2,1)))

This does everything I want.  I set my control (48) message to a value of how fast I want the fade to happen.  I divide by 10 so a value of 1 = a tenth of a second, a value of 10 is one second, etc.

As you have been following my struggles, I am applying this formula directly to the activation slider for each "scene-grid" so I no longer need my sequencer grid.

This all makes building the song in Cubase very easy too.

I think I FINALLY have all I need.  (famous last words.)

-John

Mathieu

May 9, 2020, 8:36:10 AM5/9/20
to Lightjams
Good! And if you have the same fade in and out time and the same fade type, you can even just use the fade function like this:

fade(midi.controlraw(2,48)/10,midi.note(2,1))

John Shelley

May 9, 2020, 8:55:51 AM5/9/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Yup,

Or for more discrete control over fade in and fade out i now do it on two separate CC messages.  Because if you want the transition to look smooth, going from a darker color to a lighter color requires different fade in and fade out times:

fadeout.linear(midi.controlraw(2,49)/10,fadein.linear(midi.controlraw(2,48)/10,midi.note(2,17)))

Cheers!