Id, Model, Position and Group

clava aski

Dec 18, 2019, 2:54:07 PM12/18/19
to Lightjams
Hey!

After talking to a few friends the past days I'm a bit confused about all the different ways of identifying fixtures. I tend to mainly use the model name and groups when searching, while another friend used mostly ID and model name. No one used the position nor knew what it actually does. Just wanted to see if we could get some claryification on this... such as what would be the actual difference between them (Group is quite obvious) and if there's a reason to use one of them rather than another.

Oh, and if I didn't write it in the other thread; the last update is really great and cut a lot of working time for me!

Mathieu

Dec 18, 2019, 4:20:33 PM12/18/19
to Lightjams
The position is a number you assign to be able to more logically order your fixtures in the list. Sometimes fixtures aren't patched in a logical order and to ease working with them in some more logical order, you manually assign them a position number. It's really there just to help you.

A more concrete example is when you have 10 groups of 50 fixtures each and you want to be able to quickly select the 1st, 2nd, 2rd, etc fixture of each group. You can then assign them ascending position numbers, restarting at 1 for each group.