intensity / dimmer (difference)

jur1...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2018, 11:25:26 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
Hi my problem is what to do with the dimmer in a fixture....

what means intensity in Lightjams ....does it only have effekt on colourchanels?

and what should I do with my dimmerchannels (everytime on full ??)

Mathieu

Mar 31, 2018, 11:55:35 AM3/31/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Start by setting intensity attributes at 50% or just don't use them unless you need full white (you get shades of gray by setting the saturation to 0%). Then use the dimmer attributes to control the light output. For more advanced effects, it's sometimes useful to use both the dimmer and intensity attributes to get more control.

An even simpler way when beginning is to get rid of the dimmer attributes. You can always add them later. To do so, edit the fixture template and use a "fixed" capability for the dimmer with a value of 100%.

The intensity is like the lightness in the HSL color model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV.

50% is the full color and 100% is full white.

o865324

Mar 31, 2018, 12:39:56 PM3/31/18
to Lightjams
Hi Juergen, I started by having all intensity attributes set to 50%, all saturation set to 100%, all dimmers set to 100% on their own grid while I experimented with several other grids for colour effects using just Hue.

Off (intensity 0) and full White (intensity 100%) then need dealing with separately

I also left dimmers alone completely to start with, and just used intensity.

jur1...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2018, 1:17:40 PM3/31/18
to Lightjams
Holy shit.... I wanted do a small lightshow .....not to preparing for the Nobel Prize in Mathematics  ;-)

......I think I will learning by doing   (because I only understand 1+1)

Mathieu

Mar 31, 2018, 1:51:40 PM3/31/18
to Lightjams
Well, unfortunately, I'm not aware of any Nobel prize winner in the Lightjams' user base. And it's not for the lack of trying.The good news for you is that the title of the first user to win a Nobel prize is yours to take ;)

Robin Larsson

Apr 10, 2018, 1:02:41 PM4/10/18
to Lightjams
Depending on how you are running your shows, Dimmer channels on lights with LED RGB+ colormixing can be rather useful, I use them in 2 ways:
1. As a Master dimmer for that light/group of lights (usually just having a grid with the dimmer attributes and a source linked to a Midi fader, and that can of course be done with the on-screen Sliders in LJ)
2. To make my effects, then freeing up the Intensity attributes to be put in the my color grids so I can easily do proper whites.

As I mentioned in an other post yesterday its rather easy to do a Master dimmer for a group of lights even if they dont have Dimmerchannels (for example many Pixel LEDbars usually dont have a dimmer channel when in full pixelmode)

I generally do my colors separate from Dimmer/Intensity effects, then I can use my effects with any color, without making the same effect multiple times, but that is a bit more difficult when running LED fixtures that does not have dimmer channels or atleast no dimmer channel for each pixel, and still wanting to be able to have White as selectable color...

One can do some really nice effect when using Intensity rather than Dimmer though, such that a pixelated effect starts in white and fades to a different color when the sources moves (using Fade out and/or Range), can look really cool in some setups/venues :)