Wrap around at grid edge

Jim Bluemel

Mar 8, 2020, 4:12:48 PM3/8/20
to Lightjams
Hi,

I have a circular/cylindrical installation with outward-facing LED strips. Is there any way i can make waves that pass off one side of the grid wrap around to the other side?
For example, if I have 12 strips in total and make a circle of radius 3 on column 11, is it possible to configure it such that columns 9, 10, 11, 12 and 1 are affected? I think I could make this work by having multiple grids with their edges offset but that could get messy quickly.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Bluemel

Mar 8, 2020, 7:10:24 PM3/8/20
to Lightjams
I think I might be able to get the effect I need by making my grid wider than needed and duplicating the sources in the dead space. Makes the maths for formulas a bit more confusing but should be doable.

Mathieu

Mar 8, 2020, 10:09:11 PM3/8/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Here's one way to do it with the shader mode. It's a bit complicated but maybe that's what you're looking for! The formula is:

max(0, 100-(distance(min(abs(x-source.x), abs(x-grid.lastx-source.x-1),abs(x+grid.lastx-source.x+1) ),min(abs(y-source.y), abs(y-grid.lasty-source.y-1),abs(y+grid.lasty-source.y+1) ), 0,0))/distance(grid.lastx,grid.lasty,0,0)^0.5*100)

To change the circle radius, play with the ^0.5 and *100 at the end.
test wrap.ljp

Jim Bluemel

Mar 9, 2020, 7:46:41 AM3/9/20
to Lightjams
My formulas are already complicated enough to be honest and i'm only just getting started! Quite a few pick out FFT bins and midi channels based on convolutions of their x positions...

I've widened my grid, changed all my formulas to deal with the X origin offset, and manually added extra sources that are outside the active area and "replicate" the sources that are the other side of the wrap. This seems to work, I just have to manually tweak the extra sources whenever I update the formulas.

Jim

Mathieu

Mar 9, 2020, 8:33:45 AM3/9/20
to Lightjams
Well, it certainly looks like you're having fun!

Jim Bluemel

Mar 9, 2020, 8:39:32 AM3/9/20
to Lightjams
I sure am, thanks! Literally just waiting for the installation to actually be approved for the festival it's going to and I'll be buying the pro version of your fantastic software.