controlling fixtures with color wheel

Michael Potvin

Aug 11, 2015, 8:28:32 PM8/11/15
to Lightjams
Is there a way to define fixtures that have a color wheel, where only certain colors are available, and map them alongside RGB fixtures?  I'm coming from using my own custom software (which I am in the process of outgrowing) but I had a function that would choose the closest color on the wheel to match the hue of the RGB fixtures around it.  does this make sense to anyone but me?  and is there anything like this in lightjams, or maybe I could write some kind of expression to make it work?  thinking....

Mathieu

Aug 12, 2015, 8:01:52 AM8/12/15
to Lightjams
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, there's no automatic way to manage the color wheel and make it fit the other RGB fixtures. However, you can use a formula to map the hue to a color wheel position. For example, let's say you have the hue value in the memory 0:

selectcondition(recall(0) < 10,5, recall(0) < 20,1, recall(0) < 30,20, ...)

In other words, if the hue is less than 10% (red), then you select the color wheel value 5. Between 10% and 20%, select the color wheel value 1, Between 20% and 30%, select the color wheel value 20, etc...

One variant is to use the color wheel index in your formula and then multiply by what you need at the end to get the proper percent value. So if your color wheel has 10 positions, usually each position spans 10% or so. Then the formula would look like:

selectcondition(recall(0) < 10,2, recall(0) < 20,1, recall(0) < 30,3, ...)*10

This avoids needing to get the percent value of each color of the color wheel and work with color index instead.

Cheers,
Mathieu