Artnet discovery

Jack

Jun 25, 2017, 6:31:37 AM6/25/17
to Lightjams
ha. This is so much fun!!  I'm running two LigthJams computers (LJ1, LJ2) connected with a hub, a converter (eDMX4 Pro) and one par P as the lighting system.

LJ1 can send DMX packets to P and LJ2 can send DMX packets to P. They can do that simultaneusly too. It's very nifty. LJ1 and LJ2 both broadcasting to P.

LJ1 can send DMX packets to LJ2 and LJ2 can send DMX packets to LJ1. Both while sending to P. haha. It's simply Wonderful !!

Incoming DMX channels from LJ2 can be attached in LJ1 to Source properties like power, range, delay, x and y. That makes the system so powerful.

I love LightJams !!!!

simple system.jpg

Mathieu

Jun 25, 2017, 8:38:39 PM6/25/17
to Lightjams
I'm glad to know you're having fun :) Art-net and networking in general certainly have a learning curve but I'm sure it will help you achieve many things in the future.

Jack

Jun 29, 2017, 4:48:43 AM6/29/17
to Lightjams
Well, I don't want to have to doubt about the equipment. So, I will replace the sweex hub with a Linksys PoE switch.
That should make the network traffic more reliable and predictable. The switch will replace the PoE injector.

From computer to switch to eDMX to light.

Jack

Jun 30, 2017, 1:23:02 AM6/30/17
to Lightjams
The eDMX manual says that when two sources with Artnet output (in my case 2x LJ) are used, the sources are timed out after 10 seconds after last received frame.

SUPPORTED MERGING COMBINATIONS Source

Source 2

Notes

Art-Net

Art-Net

Sources are timed out 10 seconds after last received frame.

I wonder why that is.

I'm beginning to doubt if my initial enthousiasm about that specific setup (2xLJ, switch, eDMX, par) was justified.

It has been a while since I studied Networking, but I have very good memories about the book Computernetworks by Tanenbaum.

I contains a joke that was very strong. The joke is about an optic fiber where you are advised not to look into to see if the data is transferring well.
The speed achieved in the book as more techniques were explained was 100 Mbit/s about that point if I remember well.

Jack

Jul 2, 2017, 5:53:56 AM7/2/17
to Lightjams
It's very interesting to see how the network traffic works.

Jack

Jul 6, 2017, 5:03:05 AM7/6/17
to Lightjams
Everything looks pretty solid. LJ outputs 160 frames per second if you have 4 universes with an update/refresh rate of 40. Around 1 Mbps.
The eDMX4 PRO device is solid too. Very well built, robust. Very nice combination, LJ - eDMX4 Pro.