Enttec Open DMX

sam tyndall

Sep 26, 2015, 12:26:22 PM9/26/15
to Lightjams
Hi,

So I am a complete novice to the whole lighting world.  I recently purchased a Pulse LEDBAR 320 and the enttec open dmx.  I mapped it to generic 3 channel RGB fixture and it seems to work, except it flashes on and off when not receiving parameter changes.  If I move sliders or add a control variable that changes the values it does not flash, but just displaying a static color seems to make it flash.  I would describe it as a flash as opposed to a flicker, it is very regular around twice a second.  I read that the open dmx can cause flickering as opposed the the pro dmx.  Should I upgrade to solve this problem, or could it be something else?

Thanks,

isaac

Sep 26, 2015, 1:07:36 PM9/26/15
to Lightjams
Hi Sam,

According the the manual, the ledbar has various dmx modes, are you on Mode1 which should be 3 channels?

In regards to upgrading the open dmx vs the pro, I think that what you describe is not flickering, so I don't believe it could be related to that. (but you never know!)
Maybe a dmx terminator would help (but usually it would flicker not flash, once again).

Maybe you can post your project file here so we can take a look at it?

cheers

sam tyndall

Sep 26, 2015, 5:25:26 PM9/26/15
to Lightjams
Thanks Isaac!  It is set on Mode 1- here is my file!
simple lightjam.ljp

isaac

Sep 26, 2015, 5:55:13 PM9/26/15
to Lightjams
Project file looks ok to me.
When you go to view/configuration/usb-dmx, is it set for OpenDmx there?
Maybe you can try changing the refresh rate in general settings.
Or you can try another mode on your fixture or try another fixture?

Mathieu

Sep 27, 2015, 9:53:04 AM9/27/15
to Lightjams
Hi Sam,

Like Isaac said, the project file looks fine. When there's no changes, Lightjams doesn't send anything via the Open DMX. So maybe the Pulse LEDBAR has some issues with this.

If possible, I highly recommend you get a Enttec DMX USB Pro compatible interface. For example, the ultraDMX micro from DMXKing is very good and even cheaper than the Open DMX.

Mathieu

sam tyndall

Sep 28, 2015, 10:32:42 AM9/28/15
to Lightjams
Cool, I ordered the ultraDMX micro!  I'll keep yall posted...

sam tyndall

Oct 3, 2015, 9:35:49 AM10/3/15
to Lightjams
Alright, I have the interface.  I can get it to transmit data by itself to the fixture via the ultradmx config application, but it doesnt seem to be receiving information from lightjams.  lightjams sees the interface; the dmx out box is lit, but nothing happens with the fixture.  am I missing a step?  thanks

Mathieu

Oct 3, 2015, 10:10:33 AM10/3/15
to Lightjams
Since you were using the Open version, go in the View/Configuration menu and the USB-DMX tab and make sure the PRO protocol is selected.

Mathieu

Mathieu

Oct 3, 2015, 10:41:13 AM10/3/15
to Lightjams
After exchanging a few emails, the problem was the DMXKing config utility running in the background. This was preventing Lightjams from using the USB interface.