How about an app for focussing moving heads?

Chris Watts

Apr 26, 2018, 1:39:10 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
Mathieu - is there any possibility of an app that could connect to LJ via a WiFi network to allow for the setting of pan/tilt ranges etc pre-show using a mobile device (iPad / iPhone)?

Mathieu

Apr 26, 2018, 2:04:56 PM4/26/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Good idea, but no plan for a specific app at the moment. I guess it's because you don't have a good view of your moving heads from the computer running Lightjams? What you can do is to use something like TeamViewer (https://www.teamviewer.com/en/features/) and use an Android or iPad device to remotely access the computer running Lightjams.

isaac

Apr 26, 2018, 2:22:07 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
I might add that if you don't have access to internet at your venues,
you could setup a VNC server on the machine which also has Client apps for mobile devices, same thing as Teamviewer but works on a local network.

Mathieu

Apr 26, 2018, 2:24:30 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
Teamviewer also works without internet. You need to enable LAN connections like this:

isaac

Apr 26, 2018, 2:30:00 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
wow you learn something every day ;)

I use it almost every day and didn't know.

Chris Watts

Apr 26, 2018, 3:01:40 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
WTF! I have used Team Viewer at work - I had no idea it could work with a LAN connection and also had no idea it could support mobile -> PC! Have just played with it and it works really well - practically no latency - and that was going via the web. Unfortunately their iOS app doesn't support touch gestures (the Android app does) - so moving faders isn't as nice as it could be which is a shame, but this is definitely something I will bear in mind.

You are right - the reason for needing this is that the laptop is plugged in at the rear of the stage usually and not easy to get to - and the perspective I'd like to have would be FOH.

Thanks for this.

Mathieu

Apr 26, 2018, 3:13:21 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
Ah ah! You're not alone to not know about LAN connections. Also good to know: on the iPad/Android device, you use the computer's IP as the Partner ID.

o865324

Apr 26, 2018, 3:14:31 PM4/26/18
to Lightjams
You could use a midi control surface. I've used a Korg nano kontrol2 on a USB extension lead, and also the bluetooth version of the Nano Kontrol studio.

Fader is mapped to Tilt, Knob is mapped to pan.

LightJams doesn't save the values, so if you close it after setting the MIDI values you've lost the settings. I therefore only use the midi values to adjust the base positions in relative mode. So if I lose the settings for whatever reason it doesn't matter too much.