Grid Fade In/Out

Zorpiedoman

May 7, 2020, 9:36:55 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
When I set the fade in or fade out for a grid, it seems like all attributes are fading in or out at the same time.

If I am fading in a simple, single, solid blue light, It starts out as a shade of white and goes blue.  I'm guessing this is because the saturation is "fading in" also.  Is there a way to lock individual sources so they are not affected by the grid fade in/out?  I would lock my saturation and my hue so that only the intensity is fading in or out.  For that matter my fixture has a dimmer and I would lock everything except that.  that way when the light comes on it goes from a dim/dark blue to the full blue color

thanks!

Mathieu

May 7, 2020, 10:09:16 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
You can put attributes in different grids if you need different fade times.

You can also set the fade on the source. The way to do this depends on what the source power is linked to. For many inputs, you can specify the fade time. For even more control, edit the formula and use the fade function.

Mathieu

May 7, 2020, 10:24:10 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
You can also lock the saturation and hue attributes. Select all hue attributes and then set the min&max to the same hue. Click on the middle of the hue picker to move both min&max at the same time.

Make sure to look at the 1st video tutorial to learn more about attributes.

Zorpiedoman

May 8, 2020, 8:22:08 AM5/8/20
to Lightjams
Found an even easier way...

If I just assign a pallette to ALL the RGB attributes of a fixture they all remain fixed.  Then the fade ins and outs are perfect.

-John

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 8:23:52 AM5/8/20
to Lightjams
Good idea to use the color palette!

John Shelley

May 8, 2020, 8:38:18 AM5/8/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Now my final task is figuring out how to assign midi channel messages to my grid that turns all my "color grids" on and off.  Gonna go watch a video.

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 8:23 AM Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:
Good idea to use the color palette!

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 8:47:01 AM5/8/20
to Lightjams
Are you using note or cc messages?

John Shelley

May 8, 2020, 10:00:31 AM5/8/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Either.  I've made a bunch of grids for each "scene" in my show.  Then I made a single 1x100 grid with activation attributes for each scene-grid.  One power source and by setting the X coordinate, it moves to a scene to turn it on.  Works great using my mouse.

Now I just need to understand how to assign anmidi note or cc message to that source th change it's value to jump around this grid.

John

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 8:47 AM Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:
Are you using note or cc messages?

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 10:07:06 AM5/8/20
to Lightjams
If you want to use a CC message, you can use something like this for the source's x slider:

xtopercent(midi.controlraw(1, 1))

So if the CC value is 0, the source goes to the cell position 0, CC value=1, position = 1, etc.

John Shelley

May 8, 2020, 10:30:08 AM5/8/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
didn't even need that.  Just chose CC47, (what I'm sending) and the value changes the position.  I had to make my grid 1x128, of course but it WORKS!!!  My system works perfectly!!!

*doing the happy dance*

-John

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 1:55:06 PM5/8/20
to Lightjams
Great idea to resize the grid! I think it needs to be 127 though since midi values are from 0 to 127.

John Shelley

May 8, 2020, 2:41:42 PM5/8/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
...which is 128 positions.  :)

I'm so psyched, this works perfectly for what I need!

John

On Fri, May 8, 2020, 1:55 PM Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:
Great idea to resize the grid! I think it needs to be 127 though since midi values are from 0 to 127.

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 3:19:54 PM5/8/20
to Lightjams
>> ...which is 128 positions.  :)

You're absolutely right :)

John Shelley

May 8, 2020, 3:31:10 PM5/8/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
So help me out one more time if you could...

I want to send MIDI control messages to alter the fade in and face out time for the grid.

I'll send the message on CC49 as follows:

0-50 = Fade In time in tenths of a second
51 = Fade In Linear
52 = Fade In Exp
53 = Fade In Log
54 = Face In Sig
60-110 = Fade Out time in tenths of a second (subtract 60)
111 = Fade In Linear
112 = Fade In Exp
113 = Fade In Log
114 = Face In Sig

So, if i want the fade in to be linear for one second I would send two messages: 51 then 10
And if I want the fade out to be Exponential for half a second I would send two messages: 65 then 112

What would the formula look like?

Is this possible, or am I understanding this wrong?

-John

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 3:19 PM Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:
>> ...which is 128 positions.  :)

You're absolutely right :)

Zorpiedoman

May 8, 2020, 4:13:02 PM5/8/20
to Lightjams
Looks like this is not possible as the fade function is an action, not a setting... (I think)

fade(2,100) has the value go from 0 to 100 over two seconds when the function is activated.

I was hoping that I could send the midi message early to kind of say, "ok next time I activate this grid, fade in over two seconds.... and it would do that every time until I changed it.

Hmmm.

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 4:45:15 PM5/8/20
to Lightjams
I think I see what you want and yes, it's a bit tricky to use the same CC message to control multiple things. But it's possible with the latch function. Something like:

fadein(latch(midi.control(1,49) <= 50,  midi.control(1,49)*0.1), !grid.onactivated)

Each time the grid is activated, the fade in will execute. The fade time is updated each time the CC49 message value is <= 50.

Mathieu

May 8, 2020, 5:07:52 PM5/8/20
to Lightjams
...but it would be easier and cleaner to use different CC messages, one per parameter you want to control.