Fun with NDI ?

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 1:42:08 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
Lightjams now has native NDI support. Network Device Interface. An open interface to connect everything with everything.

So, now every NDI device can connect with Lightjams or so. I see an app in the app store New Tek NDI.

Can I connect my phone's camera with LightJams ? haha.

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 2:27:16 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
So, how hard can it be. Dowloaded the NDI app from Google Play and started it.
It looks like a camera view. I guess the app can stream the camera. But is it doing that ? no idea.

Starting LightJams. Menu: View-Media. And there it is. In the dropdown list.
Network Device Interface. I select it and click refresh.

Nothing happens. Check your firewall. pffftttt.

Is that Newtek thing on my Phone really sending something ? how can I know ?

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 3:18:43 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
so. This is it.
NDI without any sources.png

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 3:30:41 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
Okay. A small step further. The phone is found.

After installing the app I had to reconnect the wifi.
Changed to a dual band router instead of a 2.4 only router too.

phone found.png

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 3:47:02 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
okay okay..  Menu: Grid-Background and selecting de NDI source is making my background image the camera of my Phone.

not bad.. not bad. I resized the grid to my camera's screen resolution, 640x480.

The only problem is that I cannot zoom in such a way that I can see the entire camera image.

I can choose H, S or I for the display energy. Interesting I guess.

phone as a background source.png

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 3:49:33 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
In the small window you can see it's a digital caliper. But it's impossible to zoom out to the right resolution.

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 5:44:38 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
Detection of the camera (Phone) on the wifi network is giving troubles. Doesn't detect it, only one succesful connection so far.

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 6:02:57 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
I have no idea why it detects the phone after some time and why it doesn't detect it immediately.

Feels completely unpredictable.

Bingo.png

Mathieu

Nov 17, 2018, 8:17:56 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
It's a good question for NewTek...

Jack

Nov 17, 2018, 8:44:29 AM11/17/18
to Lightjams
I explicitly connected on 5Ghz wifi and that worked much better. Much better detection by LightJams.
A tip on the NewTek site suggested to use 5Ghz band.

It's very puzzling at first, but now it's connecting fine. tss.  Pretty amazing to see it all works.

Ben Ponting

Nov 18, 2018, 7:17:09 PM11/18/18
to Lightjams
Hi Jack, thanks for sharing your experience with this. I can see potential future use for my company :)

Might need to have a crack at it myself!