Fixture Templates

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 5:33:50 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
After installing LJ on a new laptop I received an error message from LJ. Some file missing. I clicked it away and everything seemed fine.

But while using LJ and trying things it noticed there was not one predefined fixture in the list. And now I'm wondering, should there be a fixture list already after installing LJ ?

Wouldn't it be great to have a fixture database somewhere and just import from that central online database all the fixtures that one needed ?

Mathieu

Jun 24, 2017, 10:08:08 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
Hi Jack,

Yes, there should be templates when first installation Lightjams. If you see the error again, send me all the details.

Meanwhile, you can unzip the attached file in this directory: C:\ProgramData\Lightjams\Fixtures. First, delete all files in the fixtures directory. Then restart Lightjams.
fixtures.zip

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 10:16:39 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
I should have taken a picture of the LJ error message. Sorry I didn't. Thanks for the fixture file.

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 10:57:08 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
I'm preparing a laptop especially for LightJams. So, I first installed Windows 10 Professional. Everything went fine with that. Neatly activated and all.

After that I wanted to install a few programs. I reserved an sdd for programs. So, I didn't want to install LightJams in de default directory on C.
I chose a directory on the D: drive. "D:\LightJams" for the program.

During installation I got an error message. It was an LJ message, but I clicked it away. (should have taken a picture.)
After clicking away the error message the LJ installation seemed to go fluently. So, I started it and the startscreen appeared. Succes !
haha. The onliest thing that I noticed were the missing fixtures. I copied a LJ project file to the laptop and opened it with LightJams.

Suddenly there was one fixture file visible in LightJams, with the par that was in the LJ project file.

The entire fixture folder was empty when I looked in it. So, I did what you told me. I unzipped the fixture file and extracted them in the folder on D:\LightJams\Fixtures.
I closed LightJams and started it again.

But now I get error messages when starting LightJams. This time I took pictures of them..

Here are the first two.. probably an indication of what's going wrong.

On Saturday, 24 June 2017 16:08:08 UTC+2, Mathieu wrote:
installation package missing2.png
path error2.png

Mathieu

Jun 24, 2017, 11:15:02 AM6/24/17
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
D:\Lightjams is the installation folder and not the one containing the fixtures. So I think you may have deleted the Lightjams' files. So at this point, you need to reinstall it.

The fixture folder is usually in  C:\ProgramData\Lightjams. To be sure, go in the License/view license menu and click export. This will open the folder containing the fixtures subfolder.

When saving a project file, all used fixture templates are saved into it. This is why when you open a project, if you don't already have a template, it's automatically imported.

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 11:36:00 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
You are right. I probably messed up the installation of LightJams. So, I uninstalled LightJams.
There was no other option, because when I tried to reinstall LightJams I got a dialog if I wanted to Repair LJ or remove it. I tried Repair, but that didn't change things.
So, I uninstalled the program.

After that, I downloaded the latest version of LJ again and installed it.

Interestingly the installation went without any errors. First thing I did after installing was looking in LJ for fixtures. There was one.
So, reinstalling LJ didn't add the missing fixtures, which I hoped.

So, I made the folder ProgramData visible first. Then I saw one fixture in it, and an index file. I will delete both and put the fixtures from the zip file in it.
That should do it.

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 11:51:54 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
Everything is fine now. All the fixtures appear in LightJams and everything seems to work okay.

Onliest thing, in my download folder I see an xml file. A character string with "-license" appended. Should I leave it there ?

And in D:\LightJams\Fixtures\ there I see a zip file with the name fixtures.

Maybe for some reason the zipfile there wasn't unzipped to c:\ProgramData\LightJams\Fixtures while installing LightJams ?

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 11:57:17 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
ok. Silly of me. I made a backup of the license there. I will move it to a more proper place.

Jack

Jun 24, 2017, 11:58:51 AM6/24/17
to Lightjams
For me everything is okay now. Thanks for the help Mathieu.

Mathieu

Jun 24, 2017, 12:19:24 PM6/24/17
to Lightjams
Good! Enjoy :)