Enttec Open DMX dongle

p_m_t...@hotmail.co.uk

Jan 24, 2019, 5:45:58 AM1/24/19
to Lightjams
Morning all

I'm just getting some DMX gear together to have a play with, initially for some disco lights at home, but with a plan to use them at my wedding disco next year. I have a couple of mini spider's a combination unit with strobe, laser etc and a couple of LED PAR's  on order.

Realistically, will the Enttec basic Open USB dongle be sufficient for my needs? I can't really justify £130 for the Pro version and its not like I'm using this kit every day for public events.

Mathieu

Jan 24, 2019, 8:57:12 AM1/24/19
to Lightjams
As I understand from our email exchange, you want to sync the lights to the music in real-time. Unfortunately, the Enttec OPEN USB is going to introduce too much delay. If your budget is tight, look at the ultraDMX micro from DMXKing - https://dmxking.com/usbdmx/ultradmxmicro.-

Markus

Jan 24, 2019, 9:37:42 AM1/24/19
to ligh...@googlegroups.com

Hi Mathieu

Why do you think the latency is too high?

And what would “high” mean in this case?

Best regards

Markus

isaac

Jan 24, 2019, 9:44:10 AM1/24/19
to Lightjams
I can also confirm the Enttec Open USB DMX dongle has a bit of delay, especially for strobe effects or very fast chases etc, maybe 50-100ms.

The DMX King ultraDMX is the way to go for low-cost solutions.

Mathieu

Jan 24, 2019, 10:28:46 AM1/24/19
to Lightjams
The Open version can handle about 20 fps. The standard for DMX is 44 fps and interfaces like the Enttec Pro and the ultraDMX micro handle 44 fps.

Markus

Jan 24, 2019, 11:24:25 AM1/24/19
to Lightjams
Oh...
I am using a DIY DMX interface based on a USB to RS-485 converter with a FTDI 232RL chipset.
I must admit I did not notice significant latency so far when it comes to DMX signals, but rather with some China mini moving heads which are "behind" my LED pars while receiving the same signal.
But I am only using it for personal pleasure and hobby.

Do you know whether this interface has a delay too or 'must have it by design'?

Best regards
Markus