Creating effects for multiple MIDI key-presses

Paul Rydell

Dec 11, 2019, 4:41:39 PM12/11/19
to Lightjams
I've got a nice formula for responding to a MIDI keyboard. When I press a key I move the source to a location based on the key and fire off a pulse through the grid. But the problem is the next key press on the keyboard will take over that previous effect and move it or the new keypress won't respond.

So I was thinking I could setup 8 sources so I could have 8 different keys or effects happen at once. So I'm trying to figure out how to get each of the sources to only respond to 1/8 of the inputs. I experimented with incrementing a memory variable and having each source do a modulo to see if they should get to respond. Not having much success.

I figure there might be an easier way to get this done that I am missing. Any ideas?

Mathieu

Dec 12, 2019, 4:45:10 PM12/12/19
to Lightjams
Hi,

Here's a way with 8 sources, each one linked to a different midi note. They all use the same formula: trigger(midi.note(1, x+1)>0, 0.5, 0,100,0).

x is the horizontal position of the source. You can replace the  x+1 by the midi note number you want or you can adjust it to track other midi note by changing the +1 value. For example, to track from midi note 40, you do +40.
midi notes.ljp

Paul Rydell

Dec 12, 2019, 8:15:19 PM12/12/19
to Lightjams