Grids deactivating on their own when using Spout as background media

Justin M

Jun 25, 2024, 9:30:19 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Lightjams
Hi all!

I'm seeing some strange behavior where the grids in my scene go to "deactivated" on their own for a second or two, and then come back on, and it happens every 10-15 seconds. This seems to only happen when I use a Spout output from NestDrop as the background media for my color grid - I'm not seeing this kind of "freezing" behavior if I put the hue sources on a simple wave pattern. When a "freeze" happens, it happens to all grids, not just the one that is using the Spout media.

I'm controlling 5 fixtures via DMX over an Enttec DMX USB Pro. I'm also on a Windows 10 (64 bit) machine running LightJams version 1.0.0.693.

I have 3 grids in a scene:
1. color - 5 sources, each placed on a fixture on the grid to control hue; grid background is coming from a NestDrop visualizer to a Spout deck. Each source looks at a different part of the Spout output to get the hue.
2. intensity - I have two sources here that are coming from live band stage output
3. pan/tilt (unused)

For the color grid, I'm able to see that the Spout output monitor in LightJams is still in sync with the output of NestDrop, and the preview I see in the source configuration still updates with the Spout output. Best I can tell, it seems to be something with using that Spout output as the grid background that is causing a freeze, but I truly don't know what else to check. It's also entirely possible that I'm just not configuring this color grid correctly.

I'm hoping someone might have an idea what could be causing it, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Justin
freezing-grids.ljp

Mathieu

Jun 25, 2024, 9:33:56 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Lightjams
Hi,

Can you try with the latest beta? https://www.lightjams.com/history.html Spout has been updated.

You can also start with a new project with only the grid's background set to spout and see if there's still a freeze.

Justin M

Jun 26, 2024, 7:57:07 AM (4 days ago) Jun 26
to Lightjams
Thanks for the reply, Mathieu! I literally just figured out that this is because the master intensity & speed were set to also be coming from the Spout output, which I believe was periodically dropping the speed to 0 as the hue changed, and was deactivating the grids that way. Something really obvious I was overlooking. I set master intensity and speed back to manual 100% & 1x and it's been running perfectly fine since.

I'll definitely try out the beta, although I think this solved my immediate issue.

Thank you!