Getting into the action when using delay

Chris Watts

May 16, 2018, 8:14:18 AM5/16/18
to Lightjams
The Delay slider is one of my favourite things in Lightjams, you get such great results with it.

However - a recurring problem that I run into is when the grid activates, it takes a number of seconds before you get a nice smooth movement.

I am requesting a new feature that would allow me to record a 'starting state' for the sources in the grid, so effectively when the grid starts it behaves as if it's been active for n number of seconds.

I know precedence could be used, and the grid kept active all the time, but in reality managing this in my project would get really complicated.

Thank you.

Mathieu

May 16, 2018, 8:46:36 AM5/16/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I don't see how recording a starting state could work. The input can be anything, from MIDI, music, wave shape, etc. In other words, you can't always compute what the value will be in n seconds since an input like the music isn't predictable.

Maybe an option to avoid resetting the grid each time it is deactivated? This way, when the grid is activated again, it will continue from where it left. However, you wouldn't able to always start with the same values. So I'm not even sure it's a good option.

If you're using sin, cos or another wave shape, why not use the phase shift?

Alternatively, to avoid deactivating the grid, you can set its activation to a very low value like 0.01%. It's easier than using multiple precedence levels.

Chris Watts

May 17, 2018, 6:19:29 AM5/17/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
That’s fair enough. I can see it’s more complicated than I first thought!

On 16 May 2018, at 13:46, Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't see how recording a starting state could work. The input can be anything, from MIDI, music, wave shape, etc. In other words, you can't always compute what the value will be in n seconds since an input like the music isn't predictable.

Maybe an option to avoid resetting the grid each time it is deactivated? This way, when the grid is activated again, it will continue from where it left. However, you wouldn't able to always start with the same values. So I'm not even sure it's a good option.

If you're using sin, cos or another wave shape, why not use the phase shift?

Mathieu

May 17, 2018, 6:53:30 AM5/17/18
to Lightjams
Just to be clear, the proper solution is to use the phase shift. Using delay isn't what you need.

Chris Watts

May 17, 2018, 6:54:48 AM5/17/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks for this.

On 17 May 2018, at 11:53, Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:

Just to be clear, the proper solution is to use the phase shift. Using delay isn't what you need.

Mathieu

May 17, 2018, 7:33:59 AM5/17/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
As discussed in a previous post, if you don't want to use many sources, each with a different phase shift, you can use the shader mode with a formula like map.sin(sawtooth(3)+px). Multiply the px to adjust the shift. And don't forget to set the delay to 0 :)