Music input from the same laptop LJ runs

Thomas Meier

May 30, 2019, 8:15:49 PM5/30/19
to Lightjams
I'm playing mostly from Spotify playlists put together over the years.

To synchronise my fixtures with music from Spotify I'd like to feed the sound from Spotify directly into LJ not via the mic which would pick up ambient noise but software-to-software. I'm on a laptop running Win10 Pro.

On a side the LJ music player only works with local/network files (e.g. MP3) so I wouldn't be able to feed Spotify into the LJ music player. Really like the ability to synchronise music precisely.

Mathieu

May 30, 2019, 9:13:44 PM5/30/19
to Lightjams
Hi,

Lightjams can listen to anything playing on the computer. Go in the view/configuration and then under the music tab. At the bottom, activate the loopback option. The loopback input will appear in the list.

Thomas Meier

May 30, 2019, 9:52:21 PM5/30/19
to Lightjams
Ok thanks Mathieu.

Didn't scroll all the way down but this is what I was looking for. Does latency ever become an issue in a setup like this? My laptop is fairly powerful (i7, 8GB) but I saw this option is not available via ASIO.

Mathieu

May 30, 2019, 10:10:18 PM5/30/19
to Lightjams
It's really fast and quite better than using a hardware loopback or microphone.

Thomas Meier

May 30, 2019, 10:32:56 PM5/30/19
to Lightjams
Ok. I'll try and let you know. Txs again for the quick response...

Thomas Meier

May 31, 2019, 7:03:53 PM5/31/19
to Lightjams
Works quite well! Thanks

As a further quick test if I want to pulsate an RGB fixture (like in a VU meter) to the beat I would use a formula using onbeat() right? What would I use to extract the beat from the music? onbeat takes a value but not sure how to get the music beat from the loopback interface. Also given the formula controls a slider would I be controlling the range with the formula output?

Really beginning to like this great piece of software!!

Jürgen

Jun 1, 2019, 3:19:23 AM6/1/19
to Lightjams
My way..... VIEW > CONFIGURATION > MUSIC ....then I put my Audio Interface MAIN OUT here in Slot 1

AUDIO 1.PNG

AUDIO 2.PNG

so I have everytime Sound on Slot 1 ......

Mathieu

Jun 1, 2019, 7:30:44 AM6/1/19
to Lightjams
You don't need to use a formula at first. Follow this: https://www.lightjams.com/tutorial.html#basic

If the loopback input is in the 8th slot, select the 8th slot instead of the 1st one like in the tutorial.

If you want to customize the formula, then click on the nuclear icon to see the formula associated with the selected slider.