Pause and go

Jack

Jul 16, 2017, 5:40:43 AM7/16/17
to Lightjams
My y source is going from 0 to 100. At y=30 and y=70 I want it to pause for three seconds.

if ((y==30 || y==70), delay(3, y), sawtooth(12))

But it's not working. I'm doing something wrong.. but what ?

delay.png
Message has been deleted

Jack

Jul 16, 2017, 5:54:26 AM7/16/17
to Lightjams
Attached an image of what's puzzling me.
delay questionb.png

Jack

Jul 16, 2017, 6:00:10 AM7/16/17
to Lightjams
(If I put a square signal on an rgb par on one channel I see a very small square signal in a second channel too. Don't know if that's supposed to be either).

Jack

Jul 16, 2017, 6:17:56 AM7/16/17
to Lightjams
delay file
delay_q.ljp

Mathieu

Jul 17, 2017, 12:39:02 PM7/17/17
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The delay function outputs what it receives but some time later. So in the case of delay(3,y), it doesn't do much as the input y doesn't change. In other words, it outputs the value of y (which isn't changing) with a 3 second delay.

The usual usage of the delay function is if you want to generate multiple waves to control multiple fixtures and you want each fixture to have an offset. For example, the 2nd fixture has a 100ms delay, the 3rd has a 200ms delay, etc.

Back to your question. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy way to pause the sawtooth function at specific positions. If you want to create a sequencer with various times per step, look at this: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/lightjams/uuezYiZqipE/discussion

Jack

Jul 17, 2017, 12:55:02 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
Mabye I can user powerat. I'll try that.. or the sequencer like you mentioned. I wasn't aware delay is hard to use for stop&go.

I saw a led tube where there seemed to be a stop&go function. Not lightjams.

isaac

Jul 17, 2017, 1:19:26 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
Hi,

What about using the speed control of the grid to stop the wave at a specific moment?

ie instantaneously setting it to 0 at a specific power of your sawtooth, then back to 1 when you want to turn it back on.

Jack

Jul 17, 2017, 1:37:01 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
Great idea. But doesn't that slow down everything ? I'm planning to build two tubes. And I'm already playing with ideas, testing patterns and such.
I love doing so.
tube-16 met sliders en spacing en 3px wide.ljp

Mathieu

Jul 17, 2017, 2:25:00 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
Nice effect :) Another tip if what you want is a sequencer with some steps longer than the others. See the attached project file for a standard sequencer. The sequencer's head is moving forward at constant speed but you put the same activation attribute on multiple columns to keep it activated as long as you wish.
sequencer.ljp

Jack

Jul 17, 2017, 2:38:06 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
The many ways to Rome. :)

Many times I see effects in lighting fixtures that run automatic programs. And I always wonder if the effects are possible with LightJams.

One of those fixtures is the Showtec Active Sunstrip. It has built in sequences that are pretty powerful. I've Always wondered if those effects can be done with LightJams.

Jack

Jul 17, 2017, 2:41:24 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams

Mathieu

Jul 17, 2017, 2:44:48 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
I don't see anything that isn't possible. Some effects are a mix of multiple simpler effects. It just takes time to create that many effects.

Jack

Jul 17, 2017, 2:46:38 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
LightJams is very versatile. I love the new functions.

Mathieu

Jul 17, 2017, 2:53:56 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
You may be better off being inspired by what others do and not trying to copy exactly the effects. Different tools have different capabilities and what you see in the videos is a showcase of a particular tool.

For example, the effect you've created in the previous project file would be pretty hard (if possible at all) to do with a standard lighting console.

Jack

Jul 17, 2017, 2:59:48 PM7/17/17
to Lightjams
True. That's what I like about LightJams. And it's getting more powerful everytime, but also harder to manage. The new range wave shapes for example do take some time to understand and use. They act like the fadeout of the grid, not like the fadein. It's an intriguing new thing in LightJams, totally unexpected to see it. But very nice effects can be achieved with it. Mostly for subtle effects I think.

Jack

Jul 18, 2017, 2:23:52 AM7/18/17
to Lightjams
Energy on the grid can't accumulate. Accumulate and explode or spread after accumulation.

In the led tubes, sometimes you see a light going up to a certain point. There it halts.. another light is going up and halts too.  Three or more times.. like energy is going to a certain point and when a certain level is reached, it moves on up or spreads. I think such an effect can be achieved in LJ already, but not very easy.

The sources in lightjams can only radiate energy from a point. It never goes to a source.

Igor Roberti Foc

Jul 19, 2017, 4:55:27 PM7/19/17
to Lightjams
Nice effect. Can I ask which led tube you use?

Jack

Jul 20, 2017, 2:47:07 AM7/20/17
to Lightjams
It's just in LightJams.