Grid Fade with in sequence

Colossal NZ

Oct 16, 2019, 4:26:42 AM10/16/19
to Lightjams
Hey,
I have a file set up with a music track moving along the x 1 place every second.

I am looking for a way to create a fade in across 4 or 5 secs as shown with the blue line and subsequently a fade out.
"two" is linked to a grid with a star-feild effect that I am aiming to have fade in over top of the grip called "one"

Is there a sneaky piece of code for this or should I be setting up my sequence in another way?

Thanks,
Degge

Fade.JPG
dome plan.ljp

Colossal NZ

Oct 16, 2019, 4:30:27 AM10/16/19
to Lightjams
Note: This sequence will be cued to start, stop and restart from the music player.

Mathieu

Oct 16, 2019, 11:07:36 AM10/16/19
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That's a good question and there's no super clean way to do this with a step sequencer. Here's one way though and the modified project file is attached.

For the fade out, I've added a source at the end of the sequence to hold the power for a few seconds. The formula is fadeout(4,grid.powerat(x,y+1)), which holds and fade outs the power sent by the sequencer source for 4 seconds.

The fade in is more problematic. One way is to add the fade in into the effect grid. If you look at the intensity grid of the effect, I've added a source that is sending -100% power when the grid has just been activated and then gradually goes up to 0% in 4 seconds. The downside is that you can't change this fade in time from the sequencer grid.
dome plan-mj.ljp

Mathieu

Oct 16, 2019, 2:55:08 PM10/16/19
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
I might have a new feature to help in this scenario. I'm adding a way to let specify the fade in and out per attribute on the grid.

So you could select the activation attributes on the grid and set the fade in and out times.For the fade out, you would select the last activation attribute in the sequence and set a 4s fade out. For the fade in, well since in your case you want it to span multiple attributes, it's a bit more difficult. You would need to set a 1s fade in for the 4 first attributes and then set a min&max range for each one: 1st: min=0 max=25, 2nd: min=25, max=50, 3rd: min=50, max=75, 4th: min=75, max=100.

Let me know if you want to try this.

Colossal NZ

Oct 16, 2019, 10:40:12 PM10/16/19
to Lightjams
Hey, Mathieu,

That work out super great. Makes sense and is pretty straight forward.

One issue I am coming up to is that the fade in function isn't having an effect on my Hue/color grids. As in the fade in will visually occur on the grid but the hue/color on the output acts as if there was no fade in and just jumps to the the color selected.

This may just be me messing it up, but does this seem right to you?

Cheers,
Degge

Mathieu

Oct 17, 2019, 8:42:40 AM10/17/19
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A fade has no meaning for hue. Red is red and fading the red hue doesn't mean anything. What you want is to mix two hues during a transition. So you'd need to do a crossfade with the previous hue in order to mix it with the hue of the next step. I'll push the new feature allowing to set fade in/out directly into the activation attributes and this will ease crossfades a lot.

Download the latest beta v561: https://www.lightjams.com/history.html

Colossal NZ

Oct 19, 2019, 5:02:52 PM10/19/19
to Lightjams
Hey,

Thanks for that, I had a look at the new feature and its great, it'll speed up the process for next time!

Its a super great program and thanks a lot for all the help!