sACN - Controlling Moving Light Fixtures and other DMX Controlled lights

Cody Becker

Dec 7, 2019, 3:43:31 PM12/7/19
to Lightjams
There was no category for sACN so I am posting this here.

I just downloaded the trial version of Lightjams to see what it was all about. Seems really cool and I would love to use it in the full version, but it seems that I can't get it to speak to my dmx fixtures. Here is how I am trying to talk to all the DMX fixtures, but only successfully talking to my conventional fixtures: from my computer - ethernet connected to the network tap, which is then connected to my ETC NET 3 Node (as well as the rest of the system). That node is connected thru DMX to my light (spitting universe 1). Like I said, I am able to talk to the system but only through the conventional fixtures.
I created a fixture profile for a Claypaky Axcor Spot 300, triple checking to make sure that the profile is right (attached are photos from the software of my profile).
After seeing that that didn't work, I tried the same thing with a Chauvet SlimPAR which is just a 3 channel RGB light. Turns out that ALSO wasn't working, so I'm inclined to think that it isn't just the profile that could be messy.
In the configuration window, I am connected to the system with IP address 10.101.50.141 (which is the IP for my node) and the Universe activity monitor shows me that I am talking to Universe 1 (attached photo of the config menu as well).
I am very new to this software and have a show going up soon where I would really like to have this controlling the moving lights, but I won't buy it unless I know it will work.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TYIA!

Cody Becker

CP Profile 1.JPG
CP Profile 2.JPG
sACN Config.JPG

Mathieu

Dec 8, 2019, 7:14:24 PM12/8/19
to Lightjams
It looks like a network configuration problem. If your node IP address is 10.101.50.141, your computer can't use the same IP. The IP address you see in Lightjams when selecting a network adapter is actually your computer IP. So change your computer IP to be unique on your network. Something like 10.101.50.130.

Then you can enter the IP address of your node (10.101.50.141) as the destination address for universe 1. If this works, then optionally you can try multicasting by clearing the destination address for universe 1 you previously entered.

Matthew Galvin

Feb 1, 2020, 11:00:32 PM2/1/20
to Lightjams
You might first try an IP Scan utility like Advanced IP Scanner (free). Once you can see all of your fixtures, ETC gateways, and your computer, then you know you don't have an IP conflict.

10.101.XXX.XXX/24 is the default for most "technician configured" ETC networks. It does not mean that this is the right network configuration for every network, especially if you use wireless or want to get on the internet. ETC specifically configures most networks with no gateway - no routes out. PITA in my opinion.

There are some other great tools for sACN E1.31 specifically, I use https://sacnview.org/ for example.

I'm happy to help, I am new to this forum but a recovering ETC tech.