Midi Timing Problems

jur1...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2018, 10:26:55 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
Dont know how to get accurate timing to my Midi Source.....
Pulse2.PNG
Pulse.PNG
Spikes.PNG

Mathieu

Mar 31, 2018, 10:43:24 AM3/31/18
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

If you want to generate a sawtooth wave in sync with your MIDI clock:

1) select your source
2) click the nuclear icon at the bottom to enter a formula
3) use this formula: midi.clock.sawtooth(1)

where 1 is the clock id as you see in the view/configuration and MIDI tab

If you want to generate pulses in sycn with the MIDI clock, the formula is: midi.clock.beat(1)

The pulse function you were using isn't synced with MIDI. It has its own clock.

To generate a strobe, select the strobe wave shape instead of the pulse. The strobe is synced with the DMX output and may not appear exactly right in the user interface as its refresh rate is different than the DMX output.

jur1...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2018, 10:52:21 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
My source was master speed and I used the midi.clock.sawtooth(1) - formula and this is the result.  (the picture I named Spikes)

and in result of this all other waves behind (resulting of Masterbeatdetection) ....are out of time

jur1...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2018, 10:58:01 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams

The same Pulsewave in my Grid (linked to Power)

case1 ---- Masterspeed = 1x   (no midi timing)

case2 ---- Masterspeed= midi.clock.sawtooth(1)

Correct wave.PNG
Pulse2.PNG

Mathieu

Mar 31, 2018, 10:58:40 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
I'm not sure to understand "my source was master speed".

How much out of time the midi.clock.sawtooth(1) is? You get a consistent lag?

Mathieu

Mar 31, 2018, 11:01:53 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
Ok, I see.

This is the problem: Masterspeed= midi.clock.sawtooth(1)

The master speed is changing following a sawtooth. You certainly don't want that and this is causing the weird timing you see.

What you need is to set the master speed to 1x and add a source on your grid and follow the steps in the previous post. It's the source that will generate the sawtooth in sycn with the MIDI clock.

isaac

Mar 31, 2018, 11:04:30 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
I think I understand, you are setting the Master Speed slider to the midi clock, right?

Try leaving it at 1x and just use the formula on a separate source on a grid.

The master speed affects the timing of everything, that is why you are having trouble.

jur1...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2018, 11:15:44 AM3/31/18
to Lightjams
I tested it now with masterspeed = midi.clock.speed(1)

.....looks good because now the other source on the grid is working correct.