Is this the right product for me?

Zorpiedoman

May 3, 2020, 8:02:13 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
I was using a product called showXpress by Chauvet DJ, but it has some buggy behavior, so I'm looking for a better software solution.  This looks like a good product, but not sure if this is the right software for my simple setup.

I am a solo performer looking to have my stage lights sync with my music.

I am not running a huge array of lights, just two simple RGB LED spot lights shining on me.

I can't get my head around the LightJam interface... The grid confuses me.  I keep thinking that as soon as this clicks for me, I'll be fine, but I don't get the connection between power sources and the lighting fixture.  So... (1) Is this the wrong software for such a simple setup and do you have a recommendation for something else or (2) can I get some simple guidance to get past the basic concept of LightJams?

Thanks in advance

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 9:23:17 AM5/3/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

A grid is like the 2D workspace in Excel. You position the fixture attributes and sources the way that best fits how you think and what you want to achieve.

Sources are wave generators and define the dynamic part of your effects. The waves reach fixture attributes like hue, saturation, pan, tilt, zoom, etc. to generate the final result. Separating sources and attributes let you more easily reuse effects for many types of attributes and fixtures and also sync fixtures.

If not already done, look at the video tutorials: https://www.lightjams.com/tutorial.html

Feel free asking more questions!
Message has been deleted

Zorpiedoman

May 3, 2020, 9:51:02 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
Looks like part of my reply got deleted accidentally...

Here is the full response:

Hey, Thanks for the speedy reply!

I actually found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxvRyMv5E84t

This have me an ah-ha moment where I understood the relatoinship between the source and the attributes.

It's still a pretty long path to get the light the right color, but I'm not giving up yet.  I'm now trying to figure out how to have the source  just be a steady 100% on and then set the HSI settings to get the appropriate color for the fixture.  Here is my assumption for where I'm heading...

Once I set up a "grid" where each of my lights is a fixed color that I want, I can then make duplicates of that "grid" and set up the 50 different color combinations I want to use. THEN... I can assign a MIDI note to each of these grids and have them go on and off based on MIDI messages.

I'm worried that if sometimes I want the color change to snap on to the beat and other times I want it to fade in over a certain period of time that I would have to create separate grids for each of these effects... if so, I can see the number of grids getting unruley pretty fast.

This program really seems more geared to huge arrays of lights or color panels that are all flowing in delightful patterns rather than a simple light setup like I'm using.

I won't give up quite yet... awaiting some more feedback and experimantation.

-zorpie

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 9:55:14 AM5/3/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest you use a CC message instead of 50 note messages. This way, you would link the CC to the source controlling the hue attributes and no need to use 50 grids as only one grid is sufficient.

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 10:04:40 AM5/3/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Here's a sample project with 2 generic RGB fixtures. The hue, saturation and intensity attributes are controlled via CC messages from channel 1: CC1 -> hue, CC2 -> saturation and CC3 -> intensity

Try sending 127 for CC2 (satutation) and 64 for CC3 (intensity). Then change CC1 to control the hue.

You could create all your cues in your midi software. But at some point, you'll find you have more control for things like fades when generating them in Lightjams. You could then use another CC message to control the fade time. At this point you'll need to use formulas for fine tuning. Don't hesitate to ask when you'll get there.
mdi to hsi.ljp

Zorpiedoman

May 3, 2020, 10:37:24 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
Ok... this was even MORE helpful getting me on my way.  In fact, it's pretty clear how it works now.

I can also see where I could set up more sources and separate my two lights so they can be different colors...

But, and here's my next question, If I'm going to use CC MIDI messages to control the attributes on ONE grid, and I'm only interested in controlling the hue attributes for each fixture,  that means I would be sending midi messages over two separate channels just to change from a red/blue to a blue/red.  If I also wanted to control the intensity, I would be sending messages over four channels...  if I'm understanding this correctly.

That puts a big burdon on me externally and hugly complicates the build out.  I'd rather just be sending one message via once MIDI channel to LightJams that says switch to the red/blue scene; then send a different message over a single chanel that says switch ot the blue/red scene.  If I wanted it to fade in, I would have to select a different "scene" that is "red/blue two second fade in"?

So in LightJams, what is a what we would traditionally call a "Scene"?  I'm assuming that is what a saved grid is?

Thanks SO MUCH for your help.

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 10:49:47 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
Look at the 2nd video tutorials about cues. It will give you some more ideas. It's up to you to decide how much logic you put in your midi software vs in Lightjams.

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 10:59:10 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
And no need to use multiple channels. You can send all messages on channel 1 and use different CC message index (or id). Like index 1 for hue 1, index 2 for hue 2.

Zorpiedoman

May 3, 2020, 11:04:55 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
Ok, I'll start working on this this afternoon.  But one last question... I just hooked this up to my actual lights, and nothing is happening.  I'm using a Xpress 100 cable (from Chauvet) which has been working fine up to this point.  I checked my DMX settings in LightJams and it sees it and appears to be connected, but no lights...

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 11:12:52 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
What model is your usb to dmx interface? If it's a enttec open, go in the view/configuration and under the usb dmx, select the Open instead of Pro.

You need a Enttec Usb pro or open compatible interface.

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 11:17:36 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
The xpress 100 usb to dmx interface only works with Showexpress. You need to buy a non proprietary interface like the ultraDmx micro from Dmxking for $60.

John Shelley

May 3, 2020, 11:27:20 AM5/3/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Ok, but before I drop $60 on that cable, please answer these last two questions:  Can I assign an entire grid to a midi message... just send one message and it comes on?  And if I want to go the other route, how do you assign the fade time to a midi message?

Again, thanks so much.... I've made a lot of progress in just one morning.

-John

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 11:17 AM Mathieu <mat...@lightjams.com> wrote:
The xpress 100 usb to dmx interface only works with Showexpress. You need to buy a non proprietary interface like the ultraDmx micro from Dmxking for $60.

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 11:30:46 AM5/3/20
to Lightjams
Yes, you can activate grids with midi messages. With midi notes or cc.

For the fade, you can use a midi cc to specify the fade time.

Matthew Galvin

May 3, 2020, 12:25:34 PM5/3/20
to Lightjams
I also purchased for use in solo music performance. I have the blessing/curse of also being a production and presentation professional, so I know a lot about DMX and MIDI.
I can speak to the fact that LightJams has been fairly easy to integrate in my live performance, it does work very differently than a traditional lighting console, but it plugged together easily with the rest of my performance tools and gave me a great palette of lighting effects and cues which are easily launched in concert with my music and video performance.

Zorpiedoman

May 3, 2020, 8:23:19 PM5/3/20
to Lightjams
Ok... everything is all making a lot of sense now.  How do you change the fade in time for a grid via a midi message?

-John

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 9:12:12 PM5/3/20
to Lightjams
To set the fade time via midi, I'd use a formula like

Fade(midi.control(1,10)*0.1, midi.control(1,1))

This means the fade time is determined by multiplying the midi control channel 1, index 10 by 0.1 seconds. This is fading in and out the value received from midi control channel 1, index 1.

Formulas is an advanced topic but really useful for customization. You can see the generated formula when you select a midi value by clicking on the nuclear icon.

John Shelley

May 3, 2020, 9:18:07 PM5/3/20
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Ooooh, programming and math! My cup of tea. Where is the documentation on formulas? *rubbing my hands together *

John

Mathieu

May 3, 2020, 9:24:49 PM5/3/20
to Lightjams
The doc is here: https://www.lightjams.com/commandline.html

This forum is also full of nice formulas.

Zorpiedoman

May 7, 2020, 8:02:17 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
Well, my ultraDmx micro from DmsKing arrived today.  Hooked it up, but nothing happening.  :)

It looks like it is recognized:
Annotation 2020-05-07 195404.png

My fixtire is properly set up in 5 Channel Mode starting at position 1.

And everything looks good here, as far as I can tell.

Annotation 2020-05-07 195404.png

So what simple thing am I missing that the fixture is not doing anything?

-John

Zorpiedoman

May 7, 2020, 8:29:13 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
Well, not it is working, sort of.  Not exactly what I did... fiddled with settings, plugged and unplugged, restart the program.

Now the only issue I have is the HUE is inverted, when I set the hue at 20% LightJam is showing yellow, but my light is magenta.  When i set the hue at 80% LightJam shows magenta, but my light is shining yellow...

Where do I fix this?

Mathieu

May 7, 2020, 9:02:59 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
Hi,

Yput lights are probably not in the rgb order. You can swap the color component order by going in the patch, select all fixtures and click on the change mode button. Then select the proper color component order.

Zorpiedoman

May 7, 2020, 9:08:03 PM5/7/20
to Lightjams
Figured this out too.  I had selected RGB not RBG.