color palette

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 3:10:11 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
I made a new color bar with the edit palette function. Great.
I see the new bar "new color" on top of all the bars.

But, I thought I could double click on the new color bar and set the range like on the default color bar. With lower and higher range settings.

I think I have forgotten how to use a new color palette.. is there a way to make the new color bar appear like the default one ?

Mathieu

Mar 5, 2017, 3:49:41 PM3/5/17
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm not sure to understand... When you edit your color or gradient, you select the colors you want. Then when you use it for your hue, saturation and intensity attributes, it replaces the min&max by the color you've selected. If you've created a gradient, then when receiving 0% from a source, the color at the bottom of the gradient is selected and when receiving 100%, the color at the top of the gradient is selected.

So I guess the step you're missing is to select your hue, saturation and intensity attributes (you can select them all at once) and assign them an entry of your color palette.

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 4:11:58 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
1. first I select a hue attribute of a fixture that I patched. I can see it is in a selected state.
2. then I click on the Palette button. I see the bar that I created on top.

Then I have what's in the image attached.

But it's not like the default colors look with the "new color" colors.

Default being like in "default colors" image attached.

It's probably something stupid I'm doing wrong.
colorquestion.png
default colors.png

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 4:14:52 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
Why don't I see the "new color" bar like the default bar. That's what's I'm wondering about.

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 4:17:57 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
I expected the new gradiënt bar to replace the default colors when double clicking it.
But it didn't. Should it ? or not..  haha.

Mathieu

Mar 5, 2017, 4:42:33 PM3/5/17
to ligh...@googlegroups.com
From my point of view, the goal of using the color palette is to avoid needing to select the min & max. In other words, the color palette contains color presets. So I wouldn't expect needing to select the min&max again after having selected a color in the palette since it would defeat the purpose of using a color palette in the first place.

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 4:48:07 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
ah. I see. I'm expecting something different than the program provides.

I guess you'r right. But it seemed logical. I make a new gradiënt that replaces the default one.
Not specifically to use the min max, but just to replace it for that attribute by another one.

The new gradiënt being in sight when selecting the attribute's color. I didn't really think about the min, max and other stuff.

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 22:42:33 UTC+1, Mathieu wrote:
From my point of view, the goal of using the color palette is to avoid needing to select the min & max. In other words, the color palette contains color presets. So wouldn't expect needing to select the min&max again after having selected a color in the palette.

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 4:49:31 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
If I chose a gradiënt consisting of only one color, say yellow, I thought I would see a big yellow default color. Leaving min max useless, but still there.

Jack

Mar 5, 2017, 5:18:11 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
(hadn't used colors for quite some time, because working with fixed colors lights with dimmers)

Mathieu

Mar 5, 2017, 6:54:22 PM3/5/17
to Lightjams
The main reasons to use the color palette are to avoid setting the same color over and over again and to have better control over the transitions.

So when you need to use a specific color (for example a nice sky blue) on multiple fixtures in multiple grids, it's a good idea to create a color in the color palette. Each time you assign a color palette color to a hue, saturation or intensity attribute, it becomes linked to it. This way, you can quickly adjust the color at only one place, in the color palette. Without the color palette, you'd need to look everywhere in your project to find the color and modify it multiple times.

For the transitions, the color palette eases doing color transitions by going through the color wheel instead of only around it. It works by modifying the saturation and the hue at the same time. This is the equivalent of doing a transition in the RGB color model. The color palette also lets you avoid certain colors during a transition, for example, going around pink.