Are you looking for maintainers? I would like to help port Lift on Scala 3

Lorenzo Gabriele

Oct 18, 2023, 8:52:02 AM10/18/23
to Lift
Hello everybody,
I'm not a Lift user but I appreciate the framework and I'm a bit sad seeing it not being updated to Scala 3. I hope one day every application in the world can migrate to Scala 3 so we can delete Scala 2 and move on :)
I'm a Scala contributor and one of the maintainers of com-lihaoyi (the organization behind Mill, uPickle, Scalatags, fastparse, os-lib, etc.) so I have already experience maintaining open-source repositories. My Github account is: https://github.com/lolgab
My goal would be to help review and merge PRs like https://github.com/lift/framework/pull/1994 so we can get closer to supporting Scala 3.

Thank you,
Lorenzo

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Oct 18, 2023, 9:31:31 AM10/18/23
to Lorenzo Gabriele, Lift

Hi, I would absolutely love to see  Lift ported to Scala3, but lack the resources, unfortunately…

I might be willing to fund such effort though…

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

David Pollak

Oct 18, 2023, 4:55:24 PM10/18/23
to lif...@googlegroups.com, Lorenzo Gabriele
I'm +1

It might also be fun to roll the JSON macros I did into a Lift 4 (see https://github.com/what-cheer/netop/blob/main/macro/src/main/scala/whatcheer/macros/Jsonify.scala ) into Lift 4.

Also, web sockets instead of long polling.

Other requests?

Lift, the simply functional web framework https://liftweb.net

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Oct 19, 2023, 2:27:16 AM10/19/23
to lif...@googlegroups.com, Lorenzo Gabriele, David Pollak
På onsdag 18. oktober 2023 kl. 22:55:04, skrev David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com>:
I'm +1

It might also be fun to roll the JSON macros I did into a Lift 4 (see https://github.com/what-cheer/netop/blob/main/macro/src/main/scala/whatcheer/macros/Jsonify.scala ) into Lift 4.

Also, web sockets instead of long polling.

Other requests?

I have a list of “small changes” we've done to Lift to make it better fit our needs. It's mainly configuration-stuff which lets you specify where “/lift” is (as a function), more configurable CometActors (wrt. initialization), bump to scala-xml:2.1.0 (and necessary changes to Html5Parser.parse).

I have no knowledge about React/Angular but hear about them all the time, so better interop with them would be great.

So, Mr. Bear-feeder; Any concrete plans on how to proceed with Lift 4 with Scala 3?

Vitaliy L

Oct 19, 2023, 5:48:18 AM10/19/23
to Lift
Another thing I see here is the end of community support for Jetty 9.x. All the newer versions of Jetty use Servlet versions higher than 3.1. It would be nice to bring support for the newer Jetty versions.

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Oct 19, 2023, 7:04:43 AM10/19/23
to Lift, Vitaliy L
På torsdag 19. oktober 2023 kl. 11:48:17, skrev Vitaliy L <lvit...@gmail.com>:

Another thing I see here is the end of community support for Jetty 9.x. All the newer versions of Jetty use Servlet versions higher than 3.1. It would be nice to bring support for the newer Jetty versions.

Yea, and change all references from javax => jakarta

David Pollak

Oct 19, 2023, 8:23:29 AM10/19/23
to Lift
Folks,

I've started creating GitHub issues with the Lift 4 tag: https://github.com/lift/framework/labels/Lift4

What I propose is we discuss Lift 4 features on this list and the person advocating for the feature distills the description into #Lift4 tickets on GitHub.

Once we see how big the list is, we get a sense of the amount of work and with that we figure out a rough timeline for getting Lift 4 out.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks!

David

PS -- @Lorenzo -- please start doing whatever code reviews and pull requests you want for the Scala 3 compatibility. No reason to not kick that stuff off quickly.

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Carlos Saltos

Oct 28, 2023, 3:22:45 AM10/28/23
to Lift

Olon version 1.0.0 is published for a while with a compatibility with Lift 3

And now I've just released Olon version 2.0.0 with a couple of improvements like:

* New versions for some dependencies like Scala XML and others.

* Clearing all the compiler warnings

* Adding API URL base links and fixing all scaladoc warnings

* Removing some deprecated parts and projects.

* Opening the door to start the Scala 3 upgrade path.

IMPORTANT: This is NOT a replacement for future Lift versions, is only a fork to fulfill my own company requirements with new dependencies at Talenteca.com until Lift 4 and newer versions are fully available.

Best regards,

Carlos Saltos

David Pollak

Oct 28, 2023, 10:07:44 AM10/28/23
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Ooohhh... super cool!

What's your ideal scenario for collaboration? The options I see are:
* merging your changes into the current Lift codebase and keeping the two codebases/JARs are separate things
* merging your changes into the current Lift codebase and having that be the single way forward (I understand that this seems like a domination move on my part to suggest it... I mean no offense, just want to enumerate the options)
* Having us take a look at the Olon changes and manually make them in Lift and keep the codebases/JARs are separate and diverging thing
* other options I'm not seeing

Looking forward to finding an optimal way to collaborate.

Thanks!

Carlos Saltos

Oct 30, 2023, 7:42:20 PM10/30/23
to Lift
Thank you for your message.

I see more reasonable the second option where we may merge only the critical commits into a single official Lift repo ... for the rest of non-critical changes, we can just use the third option.

With Olon 1.0.0 that's actually what happened, a critical security patch was merged and officially released on Lift 3.5.0.

In the other hand, Olon is also making a lot of drastic "crazy" non-critical changes like removing old deprecated methods, restructuring SBT projects, reconfiguring scaladocs and even considering removing old parts like the persistence and the json implementation (native Scala drivers and projects like json4s via Jackson are a lot better and faster nowadays) ... all these non-critical changes are rather too polemic to just include them into the official Lift releases and at the end not actually required for normal Lift users ... for the Olon "crazy" changes I would recommend the third option where we may take a look at Olon and manually apply the changes that make sense into Lift to make them official if they are actually bringing value to the official project and users.

I will try to open a couple of PRs with the critical part of the recent new Olon versions once all the tests are stable and specially when we check and double check our production servers are performing OK with the new changes and upgrades.

Best regards,

Carlos Saltos

Woyce Bakins

Jun 11, 2024, 8:11:15 AM (3 days ago) Jun 11
to Lift
Hey Carlos,
can your branch be used with scala 3 already or is it a work in progress?
I would love to use liftweb but since scala 2 has been sunset, I was wondering about the state of scala 3 support in Liftweb.
Thanks.

Lorenzo Gabriele

Jun 11, 2024, 11:14:01 AM (3 days ago) Jun 11
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Scala 2 has not been sunset. It's under active maintenance and there are no plans to sunset it.
You can safely use Scala 2 for the foreseeable future.

Woyce Bakins

Jun 12, 2024, 5:17:36 PM (2 days ago) Jun 12
to Lift
Oh, thanks for the correction. Glad to know I can safely use liftweb without worrying about it.