PhotoCatalog To-Do List

penguin359

Apr 23, 2011, 10:13:12 AM4/23/11
to LifeLogger
I plan to spend part of this week-end on some coding for either
PhotoCatalog or it's Android App. I'm curious on what features people
are most interested in first. Grant, you can chime in too if
interested.

List of ideas for PhotoCatalog (server-side):
* Database support for speedy access
* Multiple/Dynamic KML Map Overlays (to allow different views of
the data or specific data ranges, or select which GPS log to
show, etc.)
* Easy to use Web Interface (especially an easy way to add
Facebook, FourSquare, and Twitter sources)
* Support for delayed/repeatable photo sorting (especially
useful
when a submitted photo fails to geotag or is incorrectly
tagged)
* Flickr Support for Geotagging existing photos or uploading new
photos.
* Better multi-source support. Currently, photos are geotagged
the closest point in the log without regard to what source
that
point came from. This means you can use the same PhotoCatalog
installation logging different people at completely different
locations as it might use the wrong point to geotag a photo
with.

List of ideas for PhotoCatalog for Android App:
* Support multiple tracks allowing each track of points to be
grouped with a name and description.
* Export to GPX/KML (this will make the app usable even for
people
without a server running PhotoCatalog)
* Precise control of conditions necessary to auto-upload logs
(Wi-Fi/3G/2G/Battery)
* GPS filtering (dropping extraneous data)
* Home screen shortcuts for quickly starting/stopping logging

What features are you most interested in?

Ronald Bynoe

Aug 31, 2011, 12:20:25 PM8/31/11
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
Hey Loren et al,
Here are my feature and change requests:
  1. The "Status Update" subscreen should display the timestamp & current location being logged with the entry, if data is entered in it and the back-arrow is hit, a confirmation screen should appear, it should have a local storage option so instead of an "Upload" button that fails when the software isn't attached to a server it should just say "Save Update" and save the note/photo locally and be uploaded along-with the rest of the upload data.  For instance, if I did have my Android app set up to sync against my server, and if I wanted it to only upload on wifi to safe on my AT&T bandwidth cap (snicker) then I would want the Status Update to queue along with the rest of the data points until such a time as I had the bandwidth to submit it.  Also, once an image is attached, the filename should be appended to the list of data being uploaded (Time, Lat/Long, Elevation, etc) rather than being a temporary popup.
  2. On the main screen, I'd like to see the "Date/Time" display corrected to show the last GPS timestamp that was saved to the log as a feedback as to the accuracy of the logging.
  3. On the main screen, rather than a transient popup displaying the "Time To First Fix" I'd like it to be displayed below the "Satellites" row, and the satellites and accuracy rows to live update as a fix is obtained, rather than waiting for it.
  4. It appears that your first datapoint is logged after your initial fix delay.  So if you set it to 5s you don't get a fix until 5s after hitting Start, a fix should be obtained immediately, and subsequent fixes should wait the desired interval.  If this is not the case, then the display should be updated on first fix, not just on the 2nd one.
  5. Under "Settings" the GPS Parameters items should use the "inputType = TYPE_CLASS_NUMBER | TYPE_NUMBER_FLAG_DECIMAL" method, for entering the server location I think "TYPE_TEXT_VARIATION_URI" should be used, but I'm not sure, anyway, it's the IME from the browser url entry that I'm looking for.
  6. The Map view path needs to be thicker, and to have more options.  Such as:
    • By default it should display only the current track, the line should probably be a dark blue, and thicker.
    • Your current location should have a moving flag so you can tell which end of the track is "forward" and it should be static sized so you can see where you are on earth regardless of zoom level.
    • The map should scale to display your entire current track on first load, and then leave it up to the user to change focus how they like
    • There should be an option, once in the map, to select multiple tracks, with a warning that selecting too large a data set can be impossible or extremely time consuming on the device, each track should have an icon for "start" and "stop" (perhaps a green light and a checkered flag) and each track should be a different colour.
  7. An option for a "passive battery saver" mode might be good, so your location is recorded whenever another request is made for the GPS state.
  8. Of course, I'd like to see all sensor data logged as an option, it could be user-selectable. I'd like the option to log all of the GPS data output, network time, and perhaps things such as battery state, charging state, and temperature.
Anyway, that's all I have for right now, thank you Loren for working so well on this!  It really is a great app.  Let me know if you get the Orbit flow valve working.
(:

Pleasantly,
Ronald Bynoe