Project Name

Loren M. Lang

Oct 21, 2010, 6:38:49 AM10/21/10
to Life Logger
Currently, the most pressing matter for PhotoCatalog is deciding on a
proper name for it as PhotoCatalog doesn't do it justice, especially now
that I have to register the application with Facebook, Twitter, and
other services. First, a not-so-brief summary of what "PhotoCatalog" does.

PhotoCatalog can import GPS data from various formats such as CSV, GPX,
and InstaMapper (in the case of InstaMapper, it is a live stream) and
create a Map that is updated live of your travels. It can also import
data from Twitter, FourSquare, and RSS extract any GPS data they have or
supplement them with existing GPS data and place them on a map as well
as keeping a personal archive. It can then import photos via file
upload, email, or scanning an existing photo, geotag photos lacking GPS
data, sort, rotate, scale and [lossless] compress them as necessary and
place them on a map. It can also push them to Facebook, Flickr, or
PhotoBucket automatically and fill in a caption and/or comment with
them. Google Latitude support is coming as well as other services. I
am also working on an Android app that can replace InstaMapper as well
as make it easier to share photos, microblogs, and more. Ronald would
also like to add additional types of sensor data such as engine
performance or heart rate monitoring.

What would be a good name for an app like this?
--
Loren M. Lang
lor...@north-winds.org

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A 3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B

mihir sathe

Oct 21, 2010, 3:42:22 PM10/21/10
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
Personally I feel that Photocatalog isnt bad, But I am more interested in the name being flashed at more places on facebook or other services so as to advertise it. Also it should be only 2-3 lines in which user would know what the application can do , so people would quickly start using it.

I can not think of a name right now , but the slogan can go something like , share your trip photos , tweets and facebook updates with a click , .. or some thing close to this.

Loren M. Lang

Oct 22, 2010, 3:52:31 AM10/22/10
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
On 10/21/2010 12:42 PM, mihir sathe wrote:
> Personally I feel that Photocatalog isnt bad, But I am more interested
> in the name being flashed at more places on facebook or other services
> so as to advertise it. Also it should be only 2-3 lines in which user
> would know what the application can do , so people would quickly start
> using it.

Facebook does offer some free advertising services for promoting an app.
We'll also need a logo for it as well. Twitter and Facebook both show
the application name attached to every post made by them so that might
help once we get around to that. Once I get the app registered, I can
start using it for regular Tweets/Facebook Posts to help promote it.

> I can not think of a name right now , but the slogan can go something
> like , share your trip photos , tweets and facebook updates with a click
> , .. or some thing close to this.

Sounds good.

> lor...@north-winds.org <mailto:lor...@north-winds.org>

Loren M. Lang

Oct 25, 2010, 2:32:14 PM10/25/10
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
My dad's suggested Life Tracker which doesn't sound too bad. Other
names suggested so far are Life Blogger and PhotoCatalog. Any other
suggestions anyone before we vote?

mihir sathe

Oct 25, 2010, 2:49:40 PM10/25/10
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
I would like to go with Life Tracker  ..... another name just shot up my brain : lifebook

Loren M. Lang

Oct 25, 2010, 8:40:19 PM10/25/10
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
On 10/25/2010 11:49 AM, mihir sathe wrote:
> I would like to go with Life Tracker ..... another name just shot up my
> brain : lifebook

I just got an anonymous suggestion: Big Brother. Wonder if he's trying
to imply something there about our software. So here's the list so far:
PhotoCatalog
LifeBlogger
LifeLogger
Life Tracker
Lifebook
Big Brother

Not quite as much variation as I was hoping for.