Time Zones and the trouble of Politics

1 view

Loren M. Lang

Aug 15, 2010, 3:36:08 PM8/15/10
to lifel...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on refactoring all the date/time conversions and trying to
generalize the various cases. Basically, time stamps come in three
forms, UTC, Local Time with known offset from UTC, and Local Time with
no offset. Email uses local time, for example, but includes the correct
offset. Since that is equivalent to UTC, I only need to worry about
local time without a known offset. I attempt to convert local times to
UTC when I first see them and store them that way. Our current scheme
has been to use a fixed offset, but I'd like to migrate to using the
system's local time zone information and offering a fixed offset as an
alternative configuration option. Time stamps within files should be OK
with this assuming the user keeps their camera up to date. File system
time stamps may still be problematic due to the nature of how FAT deals
with time.

P.S. The Politics part is the whole idea of having a Daylight Savings
Time and having to deal with it changing every so often.
--
Loren M. Lang
lor...@north-winds.org

Public Key: ftp://ftp.north-winds.org/pub/lorenl_pubkey.asc
Fingerprint: 10A0 7AE2 DAF5 4780 888A 3FA4 DCEE BB39 7654 DE5B