Free Stuff

Wilf

Sep 10, 2007, 11:50:46 AM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Perhaps there is a section for free applications (installed or web
based), bringing together all of the applications that you just have
to have (rather than the costly alternatives!)

Maybe this doesn't have to end with free software, perhaps there are
other free 'lifehacks' which could be included.

Wilf

Edythemighty

Sep 10, 2007, 12:01:39 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Do you mean web-based suites like Zoho, Google and all that?

Wilf

Sep 10, 2007, 12:34:18 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Yes, a sort of bringing together of that, and also the open office
sort of tools - so people have a choice of on-line/offline.

Wilf

> > Wilf- Hide quoted text -

samhealer

Sep 10, 2007, 2:14:20 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Are you suggesting a list of free software (on and offline) for each
type of software like office, graphics, web, email, security, etc?
To be honest, that would be a great idea.

Ray

Sep 10, 2007, 4:59:10 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
These types of lists are better served online - where they can be
found in (over)abundance. What would set it apart and make it special?

Wilf

Sep 10, 2007, 6:57:06 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Ray, I think you have hit the nail on the head, there are many
hundreds of lists online (and I agree this is likely the best place
for a changing list), and this can make it difficult to seperate the
wheat from the chaff (enough methaphors now I think!) I think that
there would be a good use for the best, stable products which are
recommended and are likely to stay! (The 'lifehacker recommends'
list?)

As for setting it apart, perhaps creating it as a toolkit for
lifehackers (every product you need) or a comparatitive check list
(compare like for like and select the items you most require!)

Just a thought :)

Wilf

samhealer

Sep 11, 2007, 2:06:24 AM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Maybe two lists like that? One list of "Lifehacker Recommends...", and
a list of products and sites from the book itself?
I'll add it to the prospective Table Of Content.

comedy writer

Sep 11, 2007, 3:43:39 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0

A great idea. ( I teach a class on free software) When this gets
going, e me for a short list of great free software.

Dave

Matt Hazinski

Sep 14, 2007, 9:43:32 PM9/14/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
While I agree that these types of lists should stay online, I think
that it would be a good idea to have a few mini-sections at the back
of the book (like appendixes) where we could place things like this.
In my opinion, this information could be best served as a special,
lengthy article that doesn't just tell what applications to use, it
also shows how effective they are, what they can do for you, and how
they could be used. I'd stay away from small web startups, and focus
mainly on things that will most likely stay online for a few years,
since this is a book.

samhealer

Sep 15, 2007, 11:18:19 AM9/15/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Appendixes are a good idea. And yes, I'd say focus on what seem to be
strong sites, not small start-ups. Also have a link to an updated
version, just in case..
Sam