Integration between OSes - solutions on how to coexist

leif....@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2007, 1:34:32 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Recently integration between the OSes have become more and more
important. As more users are switching between OSes (Mac home, Windows
at job etc.) the more users look for solutions on how to use their
favorite programs on all OSes. Even when the program/application
originally is only written for one OS, we can use emulation programs
to make it work in other OSes.

I would love to have a new section in the Lifehacker book that
collects the most important solutions we need to implement to live a
productive life, even as a crossplatform user.

Nicholas M.

Sep 11, 2007, 1:44:26 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I think that your subject would be a great title for a chapter or
section on opereating system coexistance.

On Sep 11, 1:34 pm, "leif.dal...@gmail.com" <leif.dal...@gmail.com>

samhealer

Sep 11, 2007, 2:36:00 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Agreed with Nicholas here. "How to adapt to using multiple O.S's" or
something.
Problem is, having information for 3 main O.S's in one book will just
make it bigger and impractical.
A compromise will have to be made somewhere.

ed samir fonseca

Sep 11, 2007, 2:57:06 PM9/11/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
Web-based services seem to be the most obvious solution.
--
Good ole' LSD... Making rock go round and it's devotees fall to the ground..

Benjamin F. Klahn KSC

Sep 11, 2007, 3:30:59 PM9/11/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Ed, web services are the easiest way to allow multiple
Operating Systems to share certain types of data. Google Apps comes to
mind for Mail and Documents; Flicker Comes to mind for Photos. What
other web apps are there that work reliably across the 3 major
Operating Systems?

There are some other programs which work on all major Operating
Systems; Firefox, Thunderbird, TrueCrypt, The Gimp, etc.

It may be worthwhile to include a chapter for the 3 main Operating
Systems for system specific Lifehacks. (eg, quicksilver on the mac)

Regards,
-Benjamin

Nicholas M.

Sep 11, 2007, 8:59:39 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I like that. Keep 'em short and sweet and it shouldn't over run it
with excess pages.

On Sep 11, 3:30 pm, "Benjamin F. Klahn KSC" <bfkl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with Ed, web services are the easiest way to allow multiple
> Operating Systems to share certain types of data. Google Apps comes to
> mind for Mail and Documents; Flicker Comes to mind for Photos. What
> other web apps are there that work reliably across the 3 major
> Operating Systems?
>
> There are some other programs which work on all major Operating
> Systems; Firefox, Thunderbird, TrueCrypt, The Gimp, etc.
>
> It may be worthwhile to include a chapter for the 3 main Operating
> Systems for system specific Lifehacks. (eg, quicksilver on the mac)
>
> Regards,
> -Benjamin
>

> On 9/11/07, ed samir fonseca <doncan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Web-based services seem to be the most obvious solution.
>

> > On 9/11/07, samhealer <samhe...@googlemail.com > wrote:
>
> > > Agreed with Nicholas here. "How to adapt to using multiple O.S's" or
> > > something.
> > > Problem is, having information for 3 main O.S's in one book will just
> > > make it bigger and impractical.
> > > A compromise will have to be made somewhere.

> > --

> > Good ole' LSD... Making rock go round and it's devotees fall to the ground..- Hide quoted text -

ed samir fonseca

Sep 11, 2007, 9:20:18 PM9/11/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
Web-based OSes anyone?

Nicholas M.

Sep 11, 2007, 11:51:38 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I've heard of YouOS

On Sep 11, 9:20 pm, "ed samir fonseca" <doncan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Web-based OSes anyone?

ed samir fonseca

Sep 12, 2007, 12:28:27 AM9/12/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
There's many web-OS'es, although the one's I'm looking forward to are Jooce and StartForce, which recreat the XP look and feel quite well. EyeOS has an artsy theme that mac users might enjoy, although it's predominantly green. G.host has a ton of storage space and has a rather generic look and feel. It used to be IE only, but recently it's been made available to run natively in FireFox. All in all, there's no shortage of choices for those who might switch between Windows/Mac/*nix/BeOS/whatever and want to maintain a universal workspace, online at least.

Joe Anderson

Sep 13, 2007, 11:34:23 AM9/13/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I find Box.net and my external HD useful for coexisting :)

On Sep 11, 6:34 pm, "leif.dal...@gmail.com" <leif.dal...@gmail.com>

ed samir fonseca

Sep 13, 2007, 11:45:21 AM9/13/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
Is that with just the 2 GB of free storage?

Joe Anderson

Sep 16, 2007, 3:44:40 AM9/16/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I'm not sure how much storage you get. I get five as I have a lifetime
premium account (I referred five people).