Wireless

Wiley Coyote

Sep 10, 2007, 11:46:25 AM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
How about a section on wireless? Using a public hot spot, setting up
home wireless, that type of thing.

Wiley

samhealer

Sep 10, 2007, 2:27:10 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I think that, on the scale of things, that would be quite a small
section. Maybe incorporate it into another section such as Setting Up
A Productive Office or something.
I like the idea on wireless stuff, it's just hard justifying a small
amount of content in its own section. Unless you can think of more
information that could be put in?

Sam

Wiley Coyote

Sep 11, 2007, 12:12:08 PM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0

Maybe we can look at remote connections as a bigger section containing
wireless? Like connecting through TS or Citrix, 3rd party apps like
GoToMyPC.com and others as well as connecting to VPNs all bundled up
with wireless?? Any other ideas?

Jason

Matt Hazinski

Sep 15, 2007, 1:35:14 PM9/15/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Make sure to include the tip for a firmware upgrade (http://
lifehacker.com/software/top/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-
router-178132.php) and show how to use a router as a repeater (http://
lifehacker.com/software/top/turn-your-wifi-router-into-a-
repeater-265142.php).

samhealer

Sep 17, 2007, 1:05:01 PM9/17/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I can see that the ideas for this section are mounting up! Keep adding
ideas, and I'll put it up on the prospective T.O.C
Sam

Wiley Coyote

Sep 18, 2007, 11:41:39 AM9/18/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
We could also add links to finding Hot Spots or How to find hot spots
and if they are free versus fee based.

Wiley

ed samir fonseca

Sep 18, 2007, 11:44:35 AM9/18/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
Links to sites that register all these open hot spots, and that one program that showed you all the ones near to you....can't remember the name right now, I'll get back to you guys on that ;)

Smokey B

Sep 18, 2007, 3:09:11 PM9/18/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I don't know about you guys, but I don't believe on having that many
web links in the book. The only reason why links are so easy to use
cause you can click on them. Ever try to type out a url from a book?
It's a pain in the ass, especially if it is a really long url.

If anything, maybe a cd can be included in the back with with all the
software links and their corresponding chapter all done up in some
nice html.

Having to type out urls from text book is the opposite of
productivity.

On Sep 18, 11:44 am, "ed samir fonseca" <doncan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Links to sites that register all these open hot spots, and that one program
> that showed you all the ones near to you....can't remember the name right
> now, I'll get back to you guys on that ;)
>

> On 9/18/07, Wiley Coyote <baird.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We could also add links to finding Hot Spots or How to find hot spots
> > and if they are free versus fee based.
>
> > Wiley
>
> > On Sep 17, 1:05 pm, samhealer <samhe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > I can see that the ideas for this section are mounting up! Keep adding
> > > ideas, and I'll put it up on the prospective T.O.C
> > > Sam

> > lifehacker.com/software/top/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-

> > up

> --
> Good ole' LSD... Making rock go round and it's devotees fall to the ground..

ed samir fonseca

Sep 18, 2007, 3:34:09 PM9/18/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
Precisely, I think there was another thread that talked about including a cd with the book. It would help a lot actually, and there's always tinyurls ;)

Matt Hazinski

Sep 18, 2007, 5:12:05 PM9/18/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
To find free hotspots, I use WeFi (wefi.com). Its basically an
automated Web2.0 hotspot finder, but with google maps. IMO, It's much
better for urban areas than hotspot directories which don't list
residential hotspots.

On Sep 18, 11:44 am, "ed samir fonseca" <doncan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Links to sites that register all these open hot spots, and that one program
> that showed you all the ones near to you....can't remember the name right
> now, I'll get back to you guys on that ;)
>

> On 9/18/07, Wiley Coyote <baird.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We could also add links to finding Hot Spots or How to find hot spots
> > and if they are free versus fee based.
>
> > Wiley
>
> > On Sep 17, 1:05 pm, samhealer <samhe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > I can see that the ideas for this section are mounting up! Keep adding
> > > ideas, and I'll put it up on the prospective T.O.C
> > > Sam

> > lifehacker.com/software/top/hack-attack-turn-your-60-router-into-a-600-

> > up

ed samir fonseca

Sep 18, 2007, 5:14:27 PM9/18/07
to lifehac...@googlegroups.com
Ah! That's the one I was thinking of! :D Haven't used it much, cuz honestly, I don't get out as much anymore

Now playing on iTunes: Brian May - Driven by You
posted with FoxyTunes