Dare I say it? The Mac Version

1 view

Susie Bright

Sep 10, 2007, 11:18:06 AM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I'd like to take a tip from the magazine world and suggest you do
different editions for different OS's. I would love a Mac edition with
all the Windows-only and Vista-only stuff completely absent.

Also, new cover. new cover. new cover. And a picture of you somewhere.
Your winning smile!

I'd like a section for bloggers.

And, this might be a different book, but I'm very interested in the
psychological reasons why people do or don't adopt practices that in
theory, they're all in favor of. How you fall on and off the wagon of
getting organized, what stumps and stops you. Why am I posting on your
book revision site instead of doing the "first thing" on my to-do list
as your book recommends? ;-)

peter.fi...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2007, 11:49:56 AM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Perhaps an alternative to the "OS edition" concept might be to offer
sections for specific OS options... Not entirely sure what options are
available, but alternatives might include identifying the OS in some
fun way, segregating lists of tools/options by OS, or maybe having an
OS-driven index or appendix?

I agree that it's probably a different book to look at the
psychological reasons behind adopting practices, but there are
elements of that discussion that are becoming such a large part of the
community that it bears mention at least.

Joe Anderson

Sep 10, 2007, 12:11:17 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
I think it'd be great to mention alternatives for OS X and Linux.

samhealer

Sep 10, 2007, 2:25:31 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
As much as I am in favour of multiple O.S editions, let's give 'em a
break! Have something for O.S specific info like:
For Windows, press Blah
For Mac OSX, press This
For Linux, press That

It's not the most ideal solution, but it is practical.

Sam

leif....@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2007, 5:03:09 PM9/10/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
Yeah, some linux solutions in between wouldn't be so wrong. Maybe even
some mac. It's the Lifehacker-style to embrace all the most used OSes
and the book shouldn't be any other way. Well now, that's my opinion
anyway.

Vathany Sambath

Sep 11, 2007, 12:18:58 AM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
What about people who use both Mac (at home) and Windows (at work)?
We'd need to buy both editions and there'd be substantial overlap.

kirt

Sep 11, 2007, 11:11:15 AM9/11/07
to Lifehacker book 2.0
it could be accomplished in a simple way of showing, maybe via a
little icon in the sidebar or something, which operating systems this
particular lifehack applies to. and maybe a footnote to similar
solutions at the end of the article if the exact same software isn't
available for a particular OS. that way you could have 4 (or more)
icons... web (aka everybody regardless of OS), mac, windows, *nix