RE: Single Parent vs Married Parents

Frankela Albury

Mar 21, 2011, 1:52:33 PM3/21/11
to life...@googlegroups.com
Recently,

I had a discussion with my daughter and some friends so on and so forth.  About how children turn out and how much of it depends on the household the child grows up in.  So my question is do you think a child is more well-rounded, and tends to become more successful growing up in a Married household as opposed to a single parent household?

Aiye aka Frankela

Faunya Estrada

Mar 21, 2011, 2:08:49 PM3/21/11
to life...@googlegroups.com, Frankela Albury
I think it depends more on the type of household they grow up in, than whether it is a single-parent or married parent household.  I think a child that grows up in a single-parent household with strong morals and hard work will likely be more successful than an unstable married household with parents that baby their child, or fight all the time or are philanderers or use drugs.......and vice versa.

I also think a child's surroundings play a part.  A child may not grow up in a household with their dad, but perhaps he plays a major & positive part in their lives.....or perhaps they have older uncles that set an example of how a man should be.  Role models are also a factor.

"Do what you can, with what you have, from where you are."
- Theodore Roosevelt

--
People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.
  - Frederick Douglass

Jai Jones

Mar 21, 2011, 2:38:59 PM3/21/11
to life...@googlegroups.com, Frankela Albury
I agree that there are too many factors to nail it down to one thing. But I would say the most obvious issue with single parent households is TIME. With only one parent it's almost without question that the kid wont get to spend as much quality time with that parent. Because that parent is responsible for earning all the home's income AND keeping the house in order. I guess there are exceptions...like maybe a single parent who is getting  a huge amount in child support so they can afford to be a SAHM. but for the most part, single parent means less time to just enjoy your kids, more time making sure they have a roof and food.

*Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It is beyond me.-Zora Neale Hurston

Faunya Estrada

Mar 21, 2011, 2:56:42 PM3/21/11
to life...@googlegroups.com
This is true, except, the typical modern married family (not including the wealthy set) also depend on two incomes.....so both parents will end up working and only having weekends and evenings to spend with their children.

jai...@gmail.com

Mar 21, 2011, 3:08:36 PM3/21/11
to life...@googlegroups.com
I guess I was thinking of the fact that a lot of single parents have more than one job or have to work weekends as well. With 2 parents its possible to get opposite type shifts where one parent is usually available to go to games, and programs, and lessons.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: Faunya Estrada <faunya....@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 14:56:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Group Discussion: RE: Single Parent vs Married Parents