The book - "A History of Life-extensionism in the Twentieth Century" - is now made freely available on line

Ilia Stambler

Aug 25, 2015, 9:34:16 AM8/25/15
to euro-tran...@googlegroups.com, transhu...@yahoogroupes.fr, transumanisti, Hevok, Öffentliches Forum zum Transhumanismus, Trans Humanisten, forever healthy (eng), rtd-...@googlegroups.com, life-exten...@googlegroups.com, wta-...@yahoogroups.com, A list for transhumanists with disabilities

Dear friends,

I am happy and proud to present to you my book on the history of longevity science – “A History of Life-extensionism in the Twentieth Century” – which is now freely available from my site, in html and pdf formats http://www.longevityhistory.com/

Also reduced to the possible minimum the price for the hard copy to make it more available for placing at university and community libraries, from http://www.amazon.com/History-Life-Extensionism-Twentieth-Century/dp/1500818577/

I hope this book will provide a valuable resource on life-extension science. It surveys the development of the field in the course of over a century in major national contexts – France (Chapter 1), Germany, Austria, Romania and Switzerland (Chapter 2), Russia and Ukraine (Chapter 3), the US and UK (Chapter 4). It includes almost 1300 bibliographic notes, each including several up to dozens annotated references (often hyper-linked), in several languages – mainly English, French, Russian and German. The title refers to the 20th century, but in fact, the book includes extensive information and references on very recent developments, up to the end of 2014, as well as information on early modern, medieval and ancient developments. The main text refers to over 700 authors and actors, and over 2,000 leading authors are cited in the References and Notes section.

The book provides a broad history of the scientific and technological ideas on life extension, but also of social and ideological determinants of this pursuit. So it is a kind of encyclopedia of life extension science history, and as such I hope it can be of interest and utility to people interested in this field – not only to increase education in the field, but also to provide motivation to enter and pursue the field.

The book was highly reviewed by distinguished researchers of aging and longevity, and of society, science and emerging technologies. (Some comments can be found on the book cover and among the reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/History-Life-Extensionism-Twentieth-Century/dp/1500818577/ )

One of the central arguments of this book is that not only life extension science is a legitimate and honorable scientific pursuit, but in fact it has been indispensable and instrumental for the development of so called “conventional” medicine, for the emergence of very tangible everyday therapies that we use now. And it holds similar, or greater, promise for the future. This argument was summarized in the articles “The Unexpected Outcomes of Anti-Aging, Rejuvenation, and Life Extension Studies: An Origin of Modern Therapies” (Rejuvenation Research, 2014 http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/rej.2013.1527 ), and “Has aging ever been considered healthy?” (Frontiers in Genetics. Genetics of Aging, 2015 http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fgene.2015.00202/full ). (These articles are also in free access). But it is much more thoroughly substantiated in the entire book. I do hope this book will contribute to education and legitimization of longevity science, as well as to encourage more people to enter the field.

Will be grateful for any reviews, feedback, and for referring this book to those who may find it of interest and use. Hoping this book will contribute to our struggle for healthy longevity for all.

The distribution of this book is a part of the campaign to raise awareness about the importance of aging and longevity research for the development of healthcare toward October 1 – the UN International Day of Older Persons (also referred to by some as the International Longevity Day). Additional actions, events and promotions are very welcome! http://www.longevityforall.org/international-longevity-day-october-1-2015/

Thankfully yours,

Ilia

--

Ilia Stambler, PhD