Few bugs that I've found in 1.5.0.

LStranger

Oct 12, 2010, 5:20:53 AM10/12/10
to Licq Users
Hello there!
Currently I'm using Licq 1.3 and Psi 0.11 and since I've found out 1.5
is released and it has a Jabber suport I was impatient to try it out.
I've compiled it and ran it but now I'm still using old version. Why?
I found some bugs:
1) in 1.3 ignored users were not in my list unless I select 'ignored'
to show, in 1.5 they are always in my list and I found no way to
remove them;
2) my settings for column width are applied only if I've switched
column headers on but if headers are off then columns are of variable
width always ignoring settings in 'columns' tab;
3) I cannot see icons for Jabber users, only icons for ICQ users.
So I've got back to Licq 1.3 with hope that those bugs will be fixed
sometime. Unfortunately I cannot fix them myself because I'm scared by
that huge amount of C++ code.

Anders Olofsson

Oct 12, 2010, 1:51:10 PM10/12/10
to licq-...@googlegroups.com
On 2010-10-12 11:20, LStranger wrote:
> Hello there!
> Currently I'm using Licq 1.3 and Psi 0.11 and since I've found out 1.5
> is released and it has a Jabber suport I was impatient to try it out.
> I've compiled it and ran it but now I'm still using old version. Why?
> I found some bugs:

Hi and thanks for your feedback.

> 1) in 1.3 ignored users were not in my list unless I select 'ignored'
> to show, in 1.5 they are always in my list and I found no way to
> remove them;

Found and fixed it. Committed as r7896 and will merge tomorrow to make
it part of future Licq 1.5.1.
This only affects the "All Users" group so if you use individual groups
or the "All Groups" view you will not see the ignored users.

> 2) my settings for column width are applied only if I've switched
> column headers on but if headers are off then columns are of variable
> width always ignoring settings in 'columns' tab;

I'm trying to reproduce this but even with headers disabled my columns
stay at the widths I've assigned to them. I've tried resizing the window
and having contacts go online/offline but the widths stay.
What's your column configuration? (format and sizes)
Which window manager are you using?

> 3) I cannot see icons for Jabber users, only icons for ICQ users.

Jabber specific icons are supported by the GUI but neither of the icon
sets have any Jabber icons (yet). As I'm not at home with graphical
stuff I'll leave this for someone else to fix.
There is an open ticket for this though. http://www.licq.org/ticket/1723.

> So I've got back to Licq 1.3 with hope that those bugs will be fixed
> sometime. Unfortunately I cannot fix them myself because I'm scared by
> that huge amount of C++ code.

Take it in a little bit at a time and try to avoid the ICQ protocol code
and it won't seem so scary =)
If you change your mind and want to give it a try I'll give you a hint;
if any code is needed to fix no 2 above it will probably go in
qt4-gui/src/views/userview.cpp.
And if you feel like helping out with the Jabber icons that shouldn't
require touching any C++ code at all.

/Anders

LStranger

Oct 13, 2010, 3:43:00 AM10/13/10
to Licq Users
Anders Olofsson wrote:
> On 2010-10-12 11:20, LStranger wrote:
[.......]
> Found and fixed it. Committed as r7896 and will merge tomorrow to make
> it part of future Licq 1.5.1.

It's very good to see and so fast! Thank you!

> > 2) my settings for column width are applied only if I've switched
> > column headers on but if headers are off then columns are of variable
> > width always ignoring settings in 'columns' tab;
> I'm trying to reproduce this but even with headers disabled my columns
> stay at the widths I've assigned to them. I've tried resizing the window
> and having contacts go online/offline but the widths stay.
> What's your column configuration? (format and sizes)
> Which window manager are you using?

I'm using WM KDE 3.5 and I have columns:

Alias %a 130
Whois %n 123

I think it would be OK if in my list there were contacts with aliases
that do not exceed those 130 pixels but I have ones that do. When
headers are enabled then those aliases are displayed cut to 130 pixels
and few last pixels are replaced with '...' but when headers are
hidden then aliases are not cut so column width is grown to show
complete alias (and also alias is centered instead of be left aligned
if I remember well).

> > 3) I cannot see icons for Jabber users, only icons for ICQ users.
> Jabber specific icons are supported by the GUI but neither of the icon
> sets have any Jabber icons (yet). As I'm not at home with graphical
> stuff I'll leave this for someone else to fix.
> There is an open ticket for this though. http://www.licq.org/ticket/1723.

I'm sorry, it seems I have described it wrong. I meant not status
icons in roster but icons that are avatars (user images), they are
unaccessible from server somehow. I've tried it with jabber server
livejournal.com.

> > So I've got back to Licq 1.3 with hope that those bugs will be fixed
> > sometime. Unfortunately I cannot fix them myself because I'm scared by
> > that huge amount of C++ code.
> Take it in a little bit at a time and try to avoid the ICQ protocol code
> and it won't seem so scary =)
> If you change your mind and want to give it a try I'll give you a hint;
> if any code is needed to fix no 2 above it will probably go in
> qt4-gui/src/views/userview.cpp.
> And if you feel like helping out with the Jabber icons that shouldn't
> require touching any C++ code at all.

Thank you for tips but I'm out of my schedule really now, sorry, I
couldn't find some time for my own project last week too. May be
later. :)

With best wishes.
Andriy.

LStranger

Dec 3, 2010, 8:07:53 AM12/3/10
to Licq Users
Another bad thing which I found trying it again is fonts. I'm using
Arial 10pt font in 1.3.5 and it looks smooth and nice at all. The same
font in 1.5.0 looks dirty and rough. Don't know why. But it hurts my
eyes. Tried all other fonts and found none even near so smooth as in
1.3.5.
Also I could not find a way to see history in 1.5.0 as it was in
1.3.5, i.e. in one big list. I have large enough history on some
contacts and due to not so big conversations each day I have to click
many tens times on 'Previous Day' button to read my history. It's a
HUGE inconvenience, that way licq's history viewer is almost unusable
for me and it's better to read it in mc instead of licq. ;) Would be
nice to have some option to read history old or new way (if someone
likes).