Dropping features

Anders Olofsson

Oct 5, 2014, 5:05:02 PM10/5/14
to licq...@googlegroups.com
I would like to drop a few features that I think is no longer worth
keeping. This is basically a question if anyone disagrees and would like
these features to stay.

- Send to multiple contacts.
The only practical usage I can see for this is spamming which shouldn't
be the main usage for Licq. This also adds extra code to the chat dialog
for picking recipients and duplicates sending code in the GUI. I also
guess it could be mistaken for multi user chat which it isn't.

- Utilities
Shortcuts to run legacy unix services that also requires knowledge of
the peer IP which often isn't known due to server only communication or
NATed peers. I think this is beyond the scope of what an instant
messenger needs to support natively. Could possibly be made as a plugin
if someone really wants it.

- Sending SMS
Only supported by ICQ plugin and as far as I know this stopped working
in most (if not all) countries several years ago.

- Sending files and contacts from within the chat mode dialog.
These events would be more logical to handle as stand alone events
rather than part of a chat and should be kept in separate dialogs.
Removing the support to transform the chat dialog between message types
would simplify it significantly.

As you might notice, several of these involve the chat dialog. I would
like to remake it completely (code wise mostly, the appearance will
probably not change much) to make it easier to add multi user chat in
the future and dropping a few features will make that much easier.
(I still have hopes for multi user chat on Jabber as I personally need
it at work.)

/Anders

Erik Johansson

Oct 5, 2014, 5:07:42 PM10/5/14