Migrating trac tickets [help needed]

Anders Olofsson

Aug 2, 2011, 6:56:11 AM8/2/11
to licq...@googlegroups.com
I have gone through the list of tickets that we had in trac and tried to
figure out what to do with them. The following is my suggestion on how
to migrate them but I would appreciate feedback on this, especially on
some of the tickets that I'm not sure about.

I've divided the tickets into 6 groups:
1) Tickets that have been fixed since trac was closed
2) Tickets I personally know are bugs
3) Bugs that I cannot confirm and/or don't have enough information on to
understand - Please help me with these!!
4) Enhancements that are realistic to be implemented
5) Enhancements that will take more time and/or effort but might be
worth remembering
6) Tickets that should probably just be forgotten

Suggested actions:
Group 2 and (partially) group 3 needs to be moved to some new ticket
system. I will attempt to add them as Issues in github unless anyone has
a better suggestion.
Group 4 and group 5 will be listed on an enhancement page on
www.licq.org. (Probably the split between these two groups will not be
kept.)
Group 1 and group 6 won't be migrated.

Below is a list of the tickets as I've grouped them and my comments on
them. Please let me know if there are other opinions on the groupings.
(Some descriptions are a bit vague, full tickets are available in the
trac.sql dump Jon posted to licq-dev in May or if needed in discussions
I can post more details for specific tickets.)

/Anders

##### Group 1 - Fixed tickets #####
Unless anyone can prove these aren't fixed, I consider them closed.

770 [gui] Focus change when message send of another tab completes
=> Fixed with dc66d84e0cafa871a730ba7a0e468a4a00cfb462

1406 [gui] Double dock icon in WindowMaker
=> Fixed in 1.3.4 RC3 according to comments

1460 [message] windows clients using unicode can't see / send readable
messages
1682 [icq] Problem with charset
1726 [icq] AOL's ICQ 7.2 can't show messages with national symbols
(Russian, for example)
=> These three were probably fixed with 3b71b8c, 599f94f, ca13659 and
bb6b1ae

1483 [icq] Add definitions of other icq clients
=> Fixed wih 5f4beac0d96a50e53cf330d412abaa116b5d34dc

1690 [website] Missing piece in top image in high resolution
=> Fixed with 8256c04cfd2eb98b31a79f2b733892240f13aaac

##### Group 2 - Definitely bugs #####
I know these are existing problems (or at least was last time I updated
these tickets).

597a [message] History can be saved in many different encodings

1447 [icq] Invisible contact status is not updated after he/she checks
my auto response

1626 [gui] Crash while in GPG passphrase dialog
=> Socket monitor thread is locked while waiting for GPG passphrase
input to be complete

1654 [icq] All contacts become offline after reconnect

1678 [icq] Must go Offline to drop Free For Chat status
=> This looks like a problem at the server side and at least Pidgin and
Miranda are also affected

1679 [icq] Some offline messages have a wrong timestamp
=> Might be related to http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1761

##### Group 3 - Possibly bugs #####
These I cannot confirm myself. Please reply if you know any of these to
be fixed or can confirm that the fault exists. For those I don't get any
replys to I will have to migrate anyway.

384 [icq] GUI popup sometimes show idle time larger than logged in time
=> Haven't seen this in a while so not sure if it's still a bug

556 [daemon] Group handing is strange due to merging of local and server
lists
=> We don't know if a mismatch is due to local or server change, also
there are different opinions

559 [icq] Licq shows IP when ip hiding is enabled
=> Workaround in ticket that I'm guessing is a hack

597b [gui] Top chat pane is not updated when encoding is changed
=> Not sure if this shold be considered a bug or working as intended

675 [daemon] Licq adds all receivers to the list

741 [icq] Checking if a user is invisible doesn't work

750 [gui] Autoresponse is not saved properly if locale != messages charset
=> Someone with non iso88591-1 charset needs to verify (and clarify) this

795 [gui] Auto-Raise on Incoming Msg doesn't work with Gnome2/Metacity

844 [icq] Sending URL to multiple recipients causes logout

849 [icq] Licq doesn't modify server list
=> "Unknown error modifying server list: 0x0A"

1411 [gui] Russian charset! Not work Russian from licq to gaim and from
webicq to licq
=> Someone with russion charset needs to verify (and clarify) this

1428 [icq] Invalid login sequence being performed
=> Reported by Jon but not sure what it's referring to. Some details
would be nice

1445 [icq] Licq does not receive messages from icq 5.1
=> Someone with contact(s) using ICQ 5.1 needs to verify

1455 [secure] Licq seems to forget GPG passphrase
=> "gpgme message decryption failed" logged several times for same
message but message decrypted anyway

1459 [icq] Creating a new config doesn't download all users in list

1461 [icq] Sending URL to multiple contacts is only sent to one recipient

1471 [icq] Custom auto response not working

1480 [gui] Dock does not show information in WindowMaker
=> According to description it worked in 1.3.2 but not in 1.3.4

1530 [icq] Server side contactlist damaged after moving users between groups
=> Confirmed as a known problem / Eugene 2007-08-16
=> Cause of problem probably found an will fix them next / Jon 2008-04-21

1573 [message] Charsets conversion problem
=> Several updates by author and Eugene but no solution

1583 [gui] Problems with dock icon under Window Maker

1592 [icq] Inspect why info requests between AIM owner and ICQ contact
are not answered by the server
=> Task created by Eugene but no details on what requests it's referring to

1632 [icq] licq unable to fetch icq6 away messages

1646 [icq] Update all users floods the server

1722 [jabber] Typing notification received when sending to offline contact

##### Group 4 - Realistic enhancements #####
I consider these enhancements doable without major changes

459 [console] Make it easier to type/ignore weird characters in names

504 [file] Add option to control file transfer speed

600 [gui] Popup when contact has birthday

642 [console] Show SSL status for contacts
=> Also debian bug #96445

695 [gui] Display extended icons in separate column to not hide them
when name is long

745 [gui] Make gui dockable (like kde pane)

761 [message] Drop extra linebreak at end of message added by windows client

776 [gui] Detailed information in icon tooltip, e.g. name of sender and
message count

780 [daemon] Autologin to server if disconnected

818b [gui] Show encrypted messages in different color

822 [gui] option to override colors in received messages
=> I think we're already overriding colors but I'm not sure

833 [icq] Update ICQ to use version 10 of DC protocol

875 [file] Make it possible to transfer directories

1195 [chat] Control sound for chatbeep
=> I want to redo the entire group chat handling, I'm just not sure how yet

1198 [file] Add option to skip individual files

1360 [daemon] Move ICQ specific code from CBuffer and change from static
buffer to dynamic allocation

1363 [daemon] Create the plugin pipeline architecture
=> Not sure what this means. Task created by Erik

1495 [gui or osd] Skinable popup labels (like in miranda)

1508 [icq] Error messages when logging in is not very informative

1524 [daemon] visible for all users in a contact list, e.g. Visible list
= All users

1677 [icq] Make human-readable error messages.
=> "Account Blocked" would be better than "Unknown sign on error: 0x2A"

1719 [daemon] Protocols should be able to signal what info it can get/set

1723 [gui] Protocol specific icons for Jabber missing

##### Group 5 - Low-prio enhancements #####
Enhancements that will require more work but might still be possible to do

560 [daemon] Autorequest away-message when a contact goes away and show
as tooltip
=> Some clients set message after changing status so auto fetch would
only work in some cases

680 [gui] Picture thumbnails in contact list

818a [secure] Enforce gpg signing and verification

842 [daemon] Multiple user accounts per protocol
=> Will require a lot of changes and won't happen anytime soon, but not
impossible

1165 [file/secure] Use SSL for file transfers

1294 [icq] Add option to remove ICQ account

1318 [other] History database converter from Mirablis ICQ

1338 [daemon] Netdetect feature, e.g. go online when internet connection
is available

1423 [icq] Secure user registration

1484 [other] Handle contact as SPAM (ignore, inivisible, report spam to
icq.com)

1485 [gui] new dcop calls to change status
1514 [gui] dcop: more funtions to retriever infos
=> Replace these two with enhancment to make a DBUS interface or just
drop and let fifo/rms be enough

1604 [daemon] Add support for UPnP

1643 [daemon] Option to force local groups to be same as server groups

##### Group 6 - Other #####
These are tickets I want to just forget when migrating, let me know if
you think otherwise

385 [message] enable-hebrew makes text be right-to-left formated for
other than hebrew locale
=> If someone using Hebrew shows up we can open a new ticket for this

413 [icq] Sending SMS fails
=> Close due to no reply from author for more information

435 [icq] Auto request secure doesn't work with sim-icq 0.8.1
=> Sim has no flag to indicate if it supports secure according to Jon
2006-07-04

752 [message] First message is sent with wrong encoding
=> Comment says it only happens with ICQ 5 Lite users

1018 [icq] Random chat info is not displayed
=> Does anyone actually use random chat?

1309 [icq] Receiving SMS does not work
=> Is there any SMS networks still available through ICQ?

1478 [gui] Wiki formating in message window

1481 [daemon] Webcam and voice support

1512 [daemon] Meta contacts (multiple protocols per local contact)
=> Might be possible to do as a GUI-only feature but still would need a
lot of work

Erik Johansson

Aug 3, 2011, 1:49:48 PM8/3/11
to licq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:56, Anders Olofsson <fl...@licq.org> wrote:
> I have gone through the list of tickets that we had in trac and tried to
> figure out what to do with them.

Great work!

> Suggested actions:
> Group 2 and (partially) group 3 needs to be moved to some new ticket system.
> I will attempt to add them as Issues in github unless anyone has a better
> suggestion.

I think github issues is a good alternative as we get the integration
with the VCS.

> Group 4 and group 5 will be listed on an enhancement page on www.licq.org.
> (Probably the split between these two groups will not be kept.)
> Group 1 and group 6 won't be migrated.

Agree.

> Below is a list of the tickets as I've grouped them and my comments on them.

I don't have time to go through them all now, but I'll repost when I
have had time to examine them.

// Erik

--
Erik Johansson
Home Page: http://ejohansson.se/

Erik Johansson

Aug 6, 2011, 5:29:28 PM8/6/11
to licq...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:56, Anders Olofsson <fl...@licq.org> wrote:
> ##### Group 1 - Fixed tickets #####
> Unless anyone can prove these aren't fixed, I consider them closed.

Nothing to add here.

> ##### Group 2 - Definitely bugs #####
> I know these are existing problems (or at least was last time I updated
> these tickets).

Looks ok to me.

> ##### Group 3 - Possibly bugs #####

In general, I think we should only migrate bug reports with clear and
understandable descriptions. If we can't understand the report or
reproduce the problem it will probably never get fixed. In this case I
think less is more. If we miss to migrate a bug report for a real bug,
someone else will discover it and report it in which case we'll get a
report from someone that hopefully is interested in helping us solve
it.

> 384 [icq] GUI popup sometimes show idle time larger than logged in time
>        => Haven't seen this in a while so not sure if it's still a bug

Seems minor and if you haven't seen it maybe we can leave it.

> 556 [daemon] Group handing is strange due to merging of local and server
> lists
>        => We don't know if a mismatch is due to local or server change, also
> there are different opinions

Perhaps skip this until someone new reports it as an issue?

> 559 [icq] Licq shows IP when ip hiding is enabled
>        => Workaround in ticket that I'm guessing is a hack

I vaguely remember something about IP hiding being removed from the
ICQ protocol? If so we should skip this as well.

> 597b [gui] Top chat pane is not updated when encoding is changed
>        => Not sure if this shold be considered a bug or working as intended

When uncertain leave it out.

> 675 [daemon] Licq adds all receivers to the list

Don't know what this is, but it sounds like it could be a bug.

> 741 [icq] Checking if a user is invisible doesn't work

From the title is sounds like something that once worked but that have
since been fixed in the ICQ protocol (on the server side).

> 1461 [icq] Sending URL to multiple contacts is only sent to one recipient

Similar to 844?

> 1722 [jabber] Typing notification received when sending to offline contact

I wrote this one right? If so, skip it. I think I concluded that it
was something strange with the server.

> ##### Group 4 - Realistic enhancements #####
> I consider these enhancements doable without major changes

> 1363 [daemon] Create the plugin pipeline architecture

>        => Not sure what this means. Task created by Erik

This was when Licq 2.0 was the next big thing. Can be skipped now.

> ##### Group 5 - Low-prio enhancements #####
> Enhancements that will require more work but might still be possible to do

Seems reasonable.

> ##### Group 6 - Other #####
> These are tickets I want to just forget when migrating, let me know if you
> think otherwise

I agree with you.

Anders Olofsson

Aug 7, 2011, 11:04:33 AM8/7/11
to licq...@googlegroups.com

>> ##### Group 3 - Possibly bugs #####
> In general, I think we should only migrate bug reports with clear and
> understandable descriptions. If we can't understand the report or
> reproduce the problem it will probably never get fixed. In this case I
> think less is more. If we miss to migrate a bug report for a real bug,
> someone else will discover it and report it in which case we'll get a
> report from someone that hopefully is interested in helping us solve
> it.
Yes, I agree, and this should reduce the list a bit.

>> 384 [icq] GUI popup sometimes show idle time larger than logged in time
>> => Haven't seen this in a while so not sure if it's still a bug
> Seems minor and if you haven't seen it maybe we can leave it.

Some of our timestamps are provided by the server and some are tracked
locally and depend on when we logged in etc so I think we can assume
this is the reason for the confusion and move this to the forget-it-list.

>> 556 [daemon] Group handing is strange due to merging of local and server
>> lists
>> => We don't know if a mismatch is due to local or server change, also
>> there are different opinions
> Perhaps skip this until someone new reports it as an issue?

The only solution I can think of would require Licq to keep a log of all
changes and use that to figure out if a change was local or from the
server (i.e. another client) and merge based on that. To me this sounds
complicated and is either a low-prio enhancement or skip it. My vote is
to forget it and just accept it as a limitation when using multiple
client/instances for the same account.

>> 559 [icq] Licq shows IP when ip hiding is enabled
>> => Workaround in ticket that I'm guessing is a hack
> I vaguely remember something about IP hiding being removed from the
> ICQ protocol? If so we should skip this as well.

Ok, the ticket isn't very detailed anyway

>> 597b [gui] Top chat pane is not updated when encoding is changed
>> => Not sure if this shold be considered a bug or working as intended
>
> When uncertain leave it out.

If a user changes encoding it doesn't mean it should apply to previous
messages, so I'll just drop this one.

>> 675 [daemon] Licq adds all receivers to the list
> Don't know what this is, but it sounds like it could be a bug.

The complaint here is that spammers are added to list but I haven't seen
same as messages in a long time now (just as authorization requests) so
I'm guessing it's not as important any longer.
The description asks for a "Not in list" group which is something we
already have so this might be possible to close as fixed depending on
how you read it.

>> 741 [icq] Checking if a user is invisible doesn't work
> From the title is sounds like something that once worked but that have
> since been fixed in the ICQ protocol (on the server side).

Yes, there is even a comment "The server has been fixed, so this feature
no longer works." from Jon 2005-07-01 so I guess we can just drop it
unless he can tell why he left it open.

>> 1461 [icq] Sending URL to multiple contacts is only sent to one recipient
> Similar to 844?

Maybe, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, I just fixed 1461 in 1.5-stable and I can't reproduce 844 so
these are no longer an issue.

>> 1646 [icq] Update all users floods the server

I just tested this and it's verified. With my 150+ contacts the server
disconnected me when I requested meta information for all of them at the
same time. So this one moves to the list of confirmed bugs.

>> 1722 [jabber] Typing notification received when sending to offline contact
> I wrote this one right? If so, skip it. I think I concluded that it
> was something strange with the server.

Ok, moved to drop list

>> ##### Group 4 - Realistic enhancements #####
>> I consider these enhancements doable without major changes
>
>> 1363 [daemon] Create the plugin pipeline architecture
>> => Not sure what this means. Task created by Erik
> This was when Licq 2.0 was the next big thing. Can be skipped now.

Ok, gone.

Apart from the ones discussed above, the rest of the tickets in group 3
needs to be tested by someone who can reproduce the fault otherwise I'll
probably just drop them. I thinking maybe asking on licq-users before
dropping them though if noone can help me here...

There are also a few where Jon or Eugene have been involved, if you two
are reading this feel free to comment on the following:

1428 [icq] Invalid login sequence being performed
=> Reported by Jon but not sure what it's referring to.

1445 [icq] Licq does not receive messages from icq 5.1
=> Long discussion with several patches from Jon and it looks like
it got partially better (messages working but not file transfers). Did
these patches get committed or did they just exist as attachments to
this ticket?

1530 [icq] Server side contactlist damaged after moving users between groups
=> Confirmed as a known problem / Eugene 2007-08-16

=> Cause of problem probably found and will fix them next / Jon
2008-04-21

1573 [icq] Charsets conversion problem

=> Several updates by author and Eugene but no solution

1592 [icq] Inspect why info requests between AIM owner and ICQ contact

Jon Keating

Aug 7, 2011, 6:03:06 PM8/7/11
to licq...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Anders Olofsson <fl...@licq.org> wrote:
>>> 741 [icq] Checking if a user is invisible doesn't work
>>
>> From the title is sounds like something that once worked but that have
>> since been fixed in the ICQ protocol (on the server side).
>
> Yes, there is even a comment "The server has been fixed, so this feature no
> longer works." from Jon 2005-07-01 so I guess we can just drop it unless he
> can tell why he left it open.

I left it open as a TODO to investigate if it could be done using a
different method.
I believe it can be closed and if desired, opened as a new ticket.

> 1428 [icq] Invalid login sequence being performed
>    => Reported by Jon but not sure what it's referring to.

Licq was sending packets in a different order than the official
client. It could have been used to detect non-official clients and
block them. But it looks like that never happened, so it is
irrelevant.

> 1445 [icq] Licq does not receive messages from icq 5.1
>    => Long discussion with several patches from Jon and it looks like it got
> partially better (messages working but not file transfers). Did these
> patches get committed or did they just exist as attachments to this ticket?

I do not recall, you would have to use git grep to see if the changes
are in or not.

> 1530 [icq] Server side contactlist damaged after moving users between groups
>    => Confirmed as a known problem / Eugene 2007-08-16
>    => Cause of problem probably found and will fix them next / Jon
> 2008-04-21

Don't remember this either, looking at gig log for my commits after
that day should reveal if it was done or not.

Jon

Anders Olofsson

Aug 8, 2011, 2:34:44 PM8/8/11
to licq...@googlegroups.com
On 2011-08-08 00:03, Jon Keating wrote:

> I left it open as a TODO to investigate if it could be done using a
> different method.
> I believe it can be closed and if desired, opened as a new ticket.

>> 1428 [icq] Invalid login sequence being performed
>> => Reported by Jon but not sure what it's referring to.
>
> Licq was sending packets in a different order than the official
> client. It could have been used to detect non-official clients and
> block them. But it looks like that never happened, so it is
> irrelevant.

Alright, two more in the trash that we can forget.

>> 1445 [icq] Licq does not receive messages from icq 5.1
>> => Long discussion with several patches from Jon and it looks like it got
>> partially better (messages working but not file transfers). Did these
>> patches get committed or did they just exist as attachments to this ticket?
>
> I do not recall, you would have to use git grep to see if the changes
> are in or not.

I don't have the ticket attachments but reading the commit headings for
2007 I could not find anything that seems to be related to this so I
guess it didn't get committed.
I'm not sure if I want to see the patches or if we just should consider
this as unconfirmed unless someone can verify with icq 5.1 that it's
still a problem.

>> 1530 [icq] Server side contactlist damaged after moving users between groups
>> => Confirmed as a known problem / Eugene 2007-08-16
>> => Cause of problem probably found and will fix them next / Jon
>> 2008-04-21
>
> Don't remember this either, looking at gig log for my commits after
> that day should reveal if it was done or not.

Nope, nothing related in the following month. Unless Eugene (or anyone
else) has anything to add this stays in the unconfirmed list.

The list of unconfirmed bugs is now down to only 15 of the 82 tickets
open when trac closed. I'll wait a bit more and see if I get any more
helpful replies here then I'll post on licq-users for help with
descriptions of what needs to be tested to confirm/reject them and see
if we can reduce the number a bit more before throwing them away just
because we're unsure...

/Anders