Do I need to build libuv from source to get latest version to run in Ubuntu?

Bill Engelke

Jul 18, 2020, 9:15:19 PM7/18/20
to libuv
I am having a problem with something I think may be related to libuv, and I think it may be that (in Ubuntu) apt installs the older version 1.18 of libuv, and libuv is all the way up to v 1.38; am I correct in thinking that I need to remove the libuv I have and download/build from source, to get the newest, cleanest version?

Ben Noordhuis

Jul 18, 2020, 9:21:18 PM7/18/20
to li...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 3:15 AM Bill Engelke <enge...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I am having a problem with something I think may be related to libuv, and I think it may be that (in Ubuntu) apt installs the older version 1.18 of libuv, and libuv is all the way up to v 1.38; am I correct in thinking that I need to remove the libuv I have and download/build from source, to get the newest, cleanest version?

I wouldn't remove it unless you're sure it's not in use by other
packages. You can build and install a newer version to e.g. /usr/local
and link your program against that.

Bill Engelke

Jul 18, 2020, 11:48:38 PM7/18/20
to libuv
OK, thanks. I was able to install the newer version on Ubuntu using instructions found here - unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem I am having, but it did eliminate the version question.

Bill Engelke

Jul 19, 2020, 9:12:20 AM7/19/20
to libuv
I found the source of the crash I had been having, and (as I suspected) it was unrelated to libuv; but now I have the latest version, so all is OK.