Implementing Jingle support

Peter Membrey

Apr 24, 2015, 8:08:29 AM4/24/15
to libst...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

For a research project that I'm working on, I need to implement an XMPP client in C. libstrophe seemed like an ideal candidate but unfortunately it doesn't support Jingle, which I need to use for file transfers. I was wondering whether anyone would be interested in implementing this feature in libstrophe as paid work. Obviously I'm doing this out of personal interest and as part of my research project so I don't have large commercial funding, but I would certainly be willing to put a bounty out for this work if there is any interest in the community.

The requirements would be:

1. It would need to be completed within a month
2. It would need to be accepted into the core project (i.e. I don't want to have to maintain a fork)
3. It needs to support XEP-0166 i.e. Jingle Core
4. It needs to support XEP-0234 i.e. File Transfers
5. It needs to support XEP-0261 i.e. Jingle In-Band Bytestreams Transport Method
6. It needs to be implemented with the expectation of additional features (such as additional file transfer mechanisms or multimedia support) as others may want to add them down the line
7. It needs to be documented
8. It does *not* need to support any multimedia features i.e. voice or video etc.

Basically, my use case is to use Jingle to negotiate an out of band binary transfer. As these could be large (multiple gigabytes), I don't really want that going over XMPP itself. I would be very interested in expanding the scope to encompass a simple TCP transport that handles the actual sending of the data.

So, is there any interest? :)

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Peter Membrey