Stack smashing error when sending messages to a server with an encrypted connection

Tom Morris

Apr 14, 2016, 11:35:40 AM4/14/16
to libstrophe
Hi all,

I've written a script to send messages to an Openfire server from my raspberry pi. When I first ran the script, the program terminated with the description: *** stack smashing detected ***: After disabling the connection encryption on the server everything worked fine.

I am now trying to send messages to another server, one on which connections are encrypted and I have posibility of changing. Again I'm getting the stack smashing, with the whole log being as follows:

xmpp DEBUG SRV lookup failed.
xmpp DEBUG Using alternate domain <NULL>, port 0
xmpp DEBUG sock_connect to xmpp.requea.com:5222 returned 3
xmpp DEBUG attempting to connect to xmpp.requea.com
xmpp DEBUG connection successful
conn DEBUG SENT: <?xml version="1.0"?><stream:stream to="xmpp.requea.com" xml:lang="en" version="1.0" xmlns="jabber:client" xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams">
xmpp DEBUG RECV: <stream:stream id='2071529191' from='xmpp.requea.com' version='1.0' lang='en'>
*** stack smashing detected ***: ./messenger5 terminated
Aborted

Has anyone come across this error before? If so, what was your fix?

Cheers,

Tom Morris

Dmitry Podgorny

Apr 14, 2016, 1:03:24 PM4/14/16
to libstrophe
Hello,

Seems familiar. It can be problem with duplicated SHA1 function names in libstrophe and openssl. See the next links for details:

https://github.com/boothj5/profanity/issues/404
https://github.com/strophe/libstrophe/issues/32
https://github.com/strophe/libstrophe/issues/40

The problem is fixed in master, so if you rebuild libstrophe from git (https://github.com/strophe/libstrophe) you won't experience it anymore. If you can't build library from sources, what version is installed on your RPI? And did you build against static or dynamic library?