Fatal error: Allowed memory size of....

Paul B

Jun 7, 2011, 9:43:07 AM6/7/11
to libstats
Howdy all,

We have several different instances/Libraries of LibStats running.
One of the users reported getting the following error message after
logging into LibStats. Instead of seeing previous question/answers,
the following message was displayed at the bottom of the page:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 2621709 bytes) in /var/www/html/libstats/DisplayFunctions.php
on line 64 .

I found it odd that this only occurs with one instance/Library of
LibStats, folks can login into other Libraries just fine and see
previous question/answers. I could still add a question/answer, but it
would just not display - just the error message.

After a bit of Googling,I found that I had to increase the
memory_limit in these 2 files:
/etc/php5/apache2/php.ini
/etc/php5/cli/php.ini

They were set to 32, I bumped them to 64.

I then had to restart Apache.

The user can now login to the Library, but only question/answer I did
during testing are displayed. Previous Q/As are still in the
database, as I can do datadump or report and still see them.

I figured I would post this here to help others, but also see if
anyone else has encountered this issue.

Is there a way to get all the old question/answers to display again
when the user logins on?

Is there any logs or other files I should archive/remove/delete so I
just won't have to increase the memory_limit somewhere down the road?

Cheers, Paul

Mark Mace

Jun 7, 2011, 1:09:32 PM6/7/11
to libstats, pbut...@umw.edu
Paul,

Mind you, this is just shooting from the hip here, but the first thing I'd do is look at the data for that particular library.  If the other library's within libstats are still able to view, add questions, etc, and only the one is having an issue, I'd put money on bad data for that library.  Without actually seeing the DB and the data within, I would guess or start looking for html entities, or text where someone may have copied and pasted from word.

Like I said, that just shooting from the hip, but it's where I'd start.

--mark

--mark

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood”

  -Stephen R. Covey