nlDelete removal in longrat.h

Jean-Pierre Flori

Aug 17, 2016, 5:52:22 AM8/17/16
to libsingular-devel
Dear all,

I'm working again on updating the Singular version in Sage and I'm using the git version of Singular.
I just discovered the removal of nlDelete from longrat.h:
https://github.com/Singular/Sources/commit/25118db0b8cc702d7cbafefe2fd67670e559b759

What function should be used in place of it?
Or could you temporarly reintroduce it with a "For Sage, better use ... " comment as you did for other functions until we use the proper Singular functions?

Best,
JPF

han...@mathematik.uni-kl.de

Aug 17, 2016, 8:32:41 AM8/17/16
to libsingu...@googlegroups.com
I did both: nlDelete is again in longrat.h.

General routines (which do not know/do not need to know
the internal representation of the longrat numbers)
should use n_Delete(&p,currRing->cf) instead of nlDelete(&p):
is is more general and applies to all coeffient fields.

Specific routines can continue to use nlDelete(&p) because it is
slightly faster: it saves one indirection
(n_Delete(&p,c) is c->cfDelete(&p, c) where c->cfDelete is a pointer
pointing to the current delete routine, here: nlDelete)

Regards, Hans

Jean-Pierre Flori

Aug 17, 2016, 9:15:46 AM8/17/16
to libsingular-devel
Thanks a lot for the quick action and explanation!