Re: [sage-devel] Is CMake OK for a standard spkg?

William Stein

Mar 1, 2010, 7:39:59 AM3/1/10
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, libsingular-devel
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Peter Jeremy <peter...@acm.org> wrote:

>>For what is worth, we use cmake in FEMhub (femhub.org) as a standard
>>package and we never had any problems with that.
>
> If CMake was widely used (and hence can be listed as a prerequisite for
> building Sage - like gmake, bash etc) then it would have no overhead
> for Sage.

CMake is definitely not as widely used as gmake and bash, so I'm
against making it a prerequisite for Sage. In the history of the Sage
project, the only prerequisite that was ever added was gfortran, and
that is really part of GCC (Gnu Compiler Collection), so fairly
standard.

Anyway, as mentioned before, according to this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/e91a204a2902afd/ccbdaa4792872282?lnk=gst&q=Heads+up#ccbdaa4792872282

singular is migrating to CMake. If that really happens, Sage will
have to include CMake, whether we want to or not.

-- William

William

Feb 5, 2015, 5:06:29 PM2/5/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, libsingu...@googlegroups.com, Ondrej Certik
Hi,

I wonder what is the latest on Sage and cmake?     Ondrej  Certik was just telling me about csympy, which uses cmake, and wondered whether that would be a deal break for inclusion of csympy as standard in Sage.    Definitely 4 years ago it would have been.

William

 -- William

Jakob Kroeker

Feb 8, 2015, 8:18:30 AM2/8/15
to sage-...@googlegroups.com, libsingu...@googlegroups.com

>Anyway, as mentioned before, according to this thread:

>   http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/e91a204a2902afd/ccbdaa4792872282?lnk=gst&q=Heads+up#ccbdaa4792872282

>singular is migrating to CMake.

For good or bad, Singular did not migrate to CMake. There was too much opposition, I guess.

Jakob

Oleksandr

Feb 9, 2015, 7:37:38 AM2/9/15
to libsingu...@googlegroups.com, sage-...@googlegroups.com
AFAIR we had a preliminary cmake build system for legacy Singular but it is not yet ported to the current Singular (SW),
whose build system is currently based on autoconf & automake.

we may do that at some point.

ps: IMHO following http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5971921/building-a-library-using-autotools-from-cmake would make it possible to approach that porting incrementally...

Regards,

--