The anti free market sentiment against tourism ...

Gabri Rigotti

Jul 7, 2024, 3:05:50 AMJul 7
to li...@googlegroups.com

The extraordinary anti free market sentiment against tourism, the Canary Islands especially would be reduced to crumbling ruins without tourism …

Libertarianism/individualism would resolve all these  “issues” by default without anyone having to plan it …

But that is a long story to explain to the masses that buy into coercive collectivism …

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/06/hundreds-in-canary-islands-protest-against-influx-of-migrants

Erik Peers

Jul 7, 2024, 3:28:57 AMJul 7
to li...@googlegroups.com
There is a difference between migrants and tourists.
Tourists bring money and then leave.
Migrants don't bring money and then stay.

What is wrong with wanting to be in a community of people who look like and think like me?

Stephen vJ

Jul 7, 2024, 3:32:37 AMJul 7
to li...@googlegroups.com
Three reasons come to mind... racism, echo chamber and in-breeding.

Stephen.

Gabri Rigotti

Jul 7, 2024, 6:01:08 AMJul 7
to li...@googlegroups.com
Those are two separate "issues" altogether ...

Tourists are customers of tourist enterprises operating at the tourist destinations.

The Canary Islands are especially vociferous against paying tourists, despite almost half their economy being tourist based!

Interestingly Portuguese Madeira is far less so, perhaps the memories of the masses of Madeirans that emigrated to escape poverty still fresh in their psyche ...

What distorts the tourism "issue" is the coercive collectivism ...

Else there is no issue, the free market would naturally and organically  find an equilibrium point that is sustainable.

The same coercive collectivism distorts the migrant "issue" ... But that I would prefer to see as another stream of discourse.

Venice, a short train ride from me, is another bolshie spot that is in my face, trying to "manage" tourism ... Hence my hostility towards the anti tourism activists ... 😅

However we can for the being pick the days that the municipality of Venice is not imposing an "entrance" fee ...

Nothing like the free market to purge imagined "issues" ...