Landing page not showing on laptop browser but works fine on phone or tablet. MR3040

DC

Mar 30, 2014, 1:07:47 AM3/30/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
My laptop is running OSX Lion with Chrome 33.x. I'm using a TP-LINK MR3040 (v2.2) and I did use the correct firmware. I triple-checked that before I ran the install the first time.

If I type in any URL or even http://librarybox.lan/content I get the message "Unable to access network." If I type http://192.168.1.1 I see the word "Redirect" (with a broken image) and then, when it finally does redirect, I also get "Unable to access network." I also tried with Safari and got the same results (which I expected).

I had reinstalled three times before I'd checked on my phone to discover it worked (after finding the post here where they said it worked on their iPad but not there computer: http://jasongriffey.net/librarybox/group.php?place=msg%2Flibrarybox%2FjVMk8-JKt1E%2F4qU4lsBTiXkJ ). No one replied directly to the question about why they couldn't see it on the desktop so I'm starting a new thread with a more descriptive title.

I saw another post where the person was having trouble on their iPhone and it was fixed by going to google.com (which I'd already tried long before I saw that post) but I noticed he had the port :8001 on his. I tried that and 8080 and still it won't load on my laptop's browser.

Can someone point me in the right direction please? I wasted a lot of time reinstalling because I thought maybe I'd missed a step or that I'd rebooted it manually before the full install had completed (even though it'd been 20+ minutes and I was confident it was done before I rebooted). I really love this concept and see a lot of value in it if it works consistently.

Thanks in advance

DC

Mar 30, 2014, 1:12:18 AM3/30/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
One additional thing. I am able to SSH into the MR3040 from my laptop over the wireless so I do connect to it so it's not a connection issue.

Jason Griffey

Mar 30, 2014, 8:30:42 AM3/30/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Couple of things...are you using a custom DNS? I've seen a similar issue when someone was using the google DNS servers....

Jason

On Mar 30, 2014, at 12:12 AM, DC <dante....@gmail.com> wrote:

One additional thing. I am able to SSH into the MR3040 from my laptop over the wireless so I do connect to it so it's not a connection issue.

DC

Mar 30, 2014, 9:34:06 AM3/30/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Jason,
Thanks for getting back to me. That was it! I didn't realize I had put Google's DNS servers in my laptop's config. I use them on my wireless router in my home so, for the most part, there isn't any need for me to have them configured on my laptop. I really appreciate your help because that would have been about the last place I looked to solve the problem. I know why I would've put them in there I just don't recall doing that.

Everything is working great now. Thanks!!