Increasing the number of FTP clients

Chris Hamling

Apr 9, 2014, 4:53:41 PM4/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am using the Library box as a source code store for the training sessions I run on RobotC (robotC.net).

In order to allow more than 6 laptops to connect via FTP at once I have managed to find the area that needs modification as follows:-

  1. Telnet into the LibraryBox "Telnet 192.168.1.1"
  2. Change directory to /opt/piratebox/conf/ftp
  3. Edit the proftpd.conf file "vi proftpd.conf"
  4. Set the following to read
#--- Performance Settings

MaxInstances 15

MaxClients 15 "Sorry, max %m FTP users -- try again later"

MaxClientsPerHost 2

Note: the 15 is the number you want to set

Please could you confirm that I have found the correct area to do this mod.

I have tested the change with 10 laptops all connected with FTP at the same time and it works even after a power cycle of the Library box where before only 6 could connect.

I am using a TP-LINK 3040.

Thanks

Chris

Matthias Strubel

Apr 10, 2014, 2:02:44 AM4/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi chris,
yes that is, as you already mentioned, a working solution.
But when you change the FTP settings with the command "ftp_enable.sh",
your changes are gone. You should change the values in
/opt/piratebox/conf/ftp/proftpd.conf.schema
After that, you can regenerate the ftp-configuration with running:

# /opt/piratebox/bin/ftp_enable.sh generate

Regards Matthias

Chris Hamling

Apr 10, 2014, 2:46:04 AM4/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com, kurven...@googlemail.com