Pentesting LibraryBox 2.1(denial of service (2)

jeph300

Dec 16, 2016, 2:05:21 PM12/16/16
to LibraryBox
Hello again, I DoS the LibraryBox by using Hping3 on Kali Linux. What is DoS(Denial of Service)? Simply put, it is making a resource whether a computer or a network unreachable/unavailable by flooding it with more request it can handle. using the command: hping3 192.168.1.1 --flood. Yup, it's all it takes to make the LibraryBox unreachable until it reboots automatically. guys, can we install an IDS/IPS like snort to prevent this sort of attack?

Matthias Strubel

Dec 17, 2016, 2:35:48 PM12/17/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeph,
thanks for reporting this.
Due to a very limited space and CPU ressources, this is not possible.

The much easier way to break the box is to create a lot of download, until the IO load (including the resulting IO wait) on the USB Stick results in fireing the watchdog.

Even restricting the amount of access per IP via iptables won't help with a ping flood, because it is stateless. mh :-(

Matthias

Hello again, I DoS the LibraryBox by using Hping3 on Kali Linux. What is DoS(Denial of Service)? Simply put, it is making a resource whether a computer or a network unreachable/unavailable by flooding it with more request it can handle. using the command: hping3 192.168.1.1 --flood. Yup, it's all it takes to make the LibraryBox unreachable until it reboots automatically. guys, can we install an IDS/IPS like snort to prevent this sort of attack?

jeph300

Dec 22, 2016, 1:37:48 PM12/22/16
to LibraryBox
The much easier way to break the box is to create a lot of download, until the IO load (including the resulting IO wait) on the USB Stick results in fireing the watchdog.

Do you mean that the box will be broken forever? Like the board will be fried?

Matthias Strubel

Dec 22, 2016, 2:31:01 PM12/22/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
No... it will just reboot, like in your tests

The much easier way to break the box is to create a lot of download, until the IO load (including the resulting IO wait) on the USB Stick results in fireing the watchdog.

Do you mean that the box will be broken forever? Like the board will be fried?

jeph300

Dec 22, 2016, 2:55:09 PM12/22/16
to LibraryBox
Thanks a lot Matthias. But I'll be working on a way very soon. ;-)