Which hardware is most powerful for LibraryBox?

jeph300

Dec 22, 2016, 1:44:20 PM12/22/16
to LibraryBox
Hello guys, I was thinking about what hardware is best for big storage, wide wifi coverage, and support the most number of clients? Is it raspberry pi or a specific model of router?

Gaurav Saini

Jan 8, 2017, 6:40:24 AM1/8/17
to LibraryBox
Hello Everyone,

Any updates on this ? Actually I tried MR3020 and its just supports 10 devices after that its start hanging the content that is streamed.

Thanks
Gaurav

T Gillett

Jan 10, 2017, 12:15:40 PM1/10/17
to LibraryBox
You might look at TP Link WDR3500 and WDR4300

They are concurrent dual band MIMO routers with 128MB RAM and two USB ports.

jeph300

Jan 26, 2017, 10:37:47 PM1/26/17
to LibraryBox
Is WDR3500 supported?

daniel...@g.ucla.edu

Feb 4, 2017, 9:09:39 PM2/4/17
to LibraryBox

Brad Wells

Mar 11, 2017, 3:50:24 PM3/11/17
to LibraryBox
I, too, am interested in this topic.  I'm looking for a non-portable router with good range.  With the recommended routers increasingly difficult to find in stock at a reasonable price, and TP-Link restricting custom firmware on many of the latest hardware revisions, it seems to be a guessing game at this point as to whether you can get your hands on a full-feature router that is Librarybox compatible.  Does anybody have any recent success stories?

Jason Griffey

Mar 12, 2017, 12:31:18 PM3/12/17
to LibraryBox

Unfortunately, you're right...TP-Link is killing anything that does 5Ghz, and those tend to be the larger, mains-powered units.

I would love to do a full review of what's current on the hardware side (what is actually available for order, etc) but don't have the $$ to purchase all the hardware necessary to test. LibraryBox is currently unfunded as far as development goes....there is some development that will happen over the summer, hopefully, associated with Google's Summer of Code, but that won't be hardware testing.

If this is something that a large number of people are looking for, I'm willing to pursue it...try to find an available larger unit with external antenna and such to verify the install and such on. If you're in this boat, post here and let me know. If I get a few responses, I'll bump this up as a priority.

Jason

Roy Blumenthal

Mar 12, 2017, 12:51:59 PM3/12/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Why not install LIBRARYBOX on a weaker router, then use a powerful router as a repeater? Wouldn't that work?

ROY BLUMENTHAL
Visual Facilitator / Graphic Recorder / Sketchnoter
Illustrator, Writer, Director /Process Facilitator
Biz Coach to Creative Professionals

Mobile: +27 74 104 6386

Email: royblu...@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/royblumenthal
Site: http://royblumenthal.com
Illustrations: http://flickr.com/royblumenthal

As a digital visual facilitator, I make speakers look great by bringing their material to life in hand-painted full-colour pictures. In real-time.

As they speak. I hook my tablet pc to a video projector, and paint visual interpretations of their words on a big screen. Think of me as a live, interactive replacement for PowerPoint. I visually summarise, interpret, make sense of, and highlight their content.
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Wacom Cintiq Companion 2

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 6:44:20 PM UTC, jeph300 wrote:
Hello guys, I was thinking about what hardware is best for big storage, wide wifi coverage, and support the most number of clients? Is it raspberry pi or a specific model of router?

Matthias Strubel

Mar 12, 2017, 2:15:54 PM3/12/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
From the current development, I think that the following is the way to go:

- Use cheap one-chip computers like RPi 0w , RPi2 & RPi3 as a plattform basis
- Use normal stock router for the wifi access.

That will eliminate a lot of issues... what do you think?

Matthias

T Gillett

Mar 13, 2017, 6:14:01 PM3/13/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Given the situation with TP Link and other manufacturers in response to the FCC issue, you might consider looking at routers that use OpenWrt / LEDE as their native operating system.

Good examples that might be useful for LibraryBox are the GL-inet AR150, AR300M, MT300A devices.
    https://www.gl-inet.com/products/

These are all OpenWrt based, so there are no major issues with upgrading the firmware.

All are available with external antennas, and the AR300M and MT300A are MIMO / 2T2R devices.

The AR300M and the MT300A have 16MB Flash and 128MB RAM.

The MT300A has an internal micro-SD card slot for library content storage.

There is a 5GHz secondary radio in development for the AR300M.

All these devices have a web based boot loader option for simple software installation without the need to access the main operating system.

Development of firmware images for these devices is straightforward in OpenWrt / LEDE build environments.

Regards
Terry