ssid.txt changing

Computer Dept Seb

Sep 27, 2016, 5:54:36 AM9/27/16
to LibraryBox
Hi all,
I have a strange issue.  I have been unable to change ssid.txt (or channel.txt) to anything different.  If I edit ssid.txt on my USB drive to put in a new SSID name, as soon as I put it back in the router it is changed back to the default LibraryBox one.  I have tried making the file read-only, but it makes no difference.  When I check the date of the file sure enough it is modified within seconds of me turning on the router.  I see the same behavior with channel.txt, and sometimes (but not always) with hostname.txt and system_hostname.txt.  I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64GB and a TP-Link MR3040.   I have seen this behavior on two different routers and two different USB drives.  There must be some script or something from the install modifying the files back to the defaults.  Any ideas?
Thanks very much for any help you can give,
Andrew Shafe

Matthias Strubel

Sep 27, 2016, 9:51:48 AM9/27/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,
this is strange.

Do you use non ascii characters?
Can you please provide a copy of apply_config.log from your USB stick?

Many thanks,
best regards
Matthias

Allan Lee

Sep 27, 2016, 1:19:14 PM9/27/16
to LibraryBox
I found that I need to reboot twice for such changes to take effect.

Computer Dept Seb

Sep 28, 2016, 11:42:07 AM9/28/16
to LibraryBox
Hi Matthias,
No, I'm not using non-ascii.  The SSID I've tried are "Bonnes Nouvelles" or "Bonnes Nouvelles!"  I save the file, open it again to verify it's still the same, then put it in the router and boot.  After 3-4 mins the SSID pops up on my WIFI network list as "Library Box--free content!".  I turn off the router.  Pull the USB.  Look at ssid.txt via my computer to the USB and it's changed to the Library Box one.
Here's my log file.  Thanks very much for your help.
Andrew
apply_config.log

Computer Dept Seb

Sep 28, 2016, 12:30:41 PM9/28/16
to LibraryBox
Hi Allan,
Thanks for the info.  My ssid.txt file changes back after the first reboot though.
Andrew

Matthias Strubel

Sep 28, 2016, 1:20:50 PM9/28/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,
thank you for sending the log file over. BTW: it can be deleted from time to time.

In your logfile, I can see, that the changes are discovered and applied. It seems that the system itself does not accept the changes. Lets try it the manual way:

Login via SSH/Telnet to your librarybox (booted normally)
Run the following command

uci set "wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=MyWifiName"
uci commit

Check if it worked out with:

uci get "wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid

If you receive any error message, please send them over to me (via mailing list).

BTW:  This changes will be activated after a reboot. But now the config-folder on the USB stick contains a different SSID then set on the system and may change back.  So you should run

/etc/init.d/autocfg reset

to overwrite the configuration files with new ones. ;)

Hope that helps,
best regards
Matthias

Computer Dept Seb

Sep 29, 2016, 11:13:28 AM9/29/16
to LibraryBox
Yes, yes, yes!  Thank you so much!!!!  I'm finally seeing the correct SSID, and ssid.txt is unchanged.  Do you have any idea why/how the file was getting changed back?
blessings,
Andrew

Matthias Strubel

Sep 29, 2016, 5:48:50 PM9/29/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
no idea, maybe a bug or something weird happend.

Matthias